Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna mounting options on a 2004 Tahoe  (Read 971 times)
FREEMA22

Ignore
« on: April 06, 2006, 07:52:48 PM »

Greatings. I recently purchased a 2004 Chevy Tahoe. I am having a tough time deciding which way to go for mounting my antenna. I mainly talk on VHF in an urban setting. I have heard both good and bad reviews of glass mount antennas. I have also received suggestions of the Diamond HRKS adhesive mount, the Diamond K400 mount for the rear hatch, and plain old L-brackets for the hood. I am in parking garages a lot, and CAN NOT drill the roof (no ifs ands or buts). Since I am in metro Chicago, I would like to keep things as low profile as possible. Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mike
KC9JBY
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 06:01:32 AM »

When you won't drill a hole, you limit yourself in many ways.

If you're in an urban area, a 1/4 wave antenna is more than adequate. Unless the garage you park in is under 7 feet, even roof mounting is okay.

If you're just too afraid to drill a hole, then an L bracket on the edge of the hood will work. It isn't necessary to use a gain antenna, and using one may actually increase dropout.

From a sturdiness factor, I would buy an import antenna. This goes for glass mounts, and glue ones. They are compromise among compromises.

You might want to read my web site article on VHF Options.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 08:55:01 AM »

Alan:

<< From a sturdiness factor, I would buy an import antenna. .>>

Don't you mean WOULD NOT? <g>

Lon W3LK
Baltimore,Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 12:33:12 PM »

You got it! For some reason my sydlexia  got to me!

Just for the record, I have tried three different import antennas in the last 6 months. The first tree I hit got the Jewel (if you get my point). The Fireball burned itself out when I dumped 100 watts into it (it was rated 120), and the Headache had an input SWR of 1.8:1 and could not be medicated. Incidentally, all were mounted to the same NMO in the center of the trunk.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 05:42:51 PM »

Alan: Fireball -- don't you mean dirty iceball? Headache I can't place.

Re: the Tahoe, any commercial (Radiall-Larson, Antenex, etc.) 1/4 wave NMO mount whip cut for 146 MHz should do the job for you, be low profile (~19"), and not too expensive to boot.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: