Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best car  (Read 976 times)
AB9DZ

Ignore
« on: March 30, 2006, 06:05:51 PM »

What is the best car for operating mobile? I am looking into buying a used car for my 1 hour commute and want to find one with the least radio noise. Any suggestions?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 08:13:08 PM »

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there isn't a best car! (or truck)

One thing I have learned in my 30 plus years of mobile operation, is this rather contradictive scenario: Two, otherwise identical vehicles, will have vastly different RFI noise levels. We're just not talking a few dB, but many decades of difference. Why this is, or what causes it, remains a mystery. If I really knew why, I'd be a millionaire. I'm not!

I maintain a web site dedicated to mobile amateur radio. On average, I get about 20 e-mails per day, covering every aspect you can think of. The one common scenario is the aforementioned problem.

If you have a special insight, please let us all in on it.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 08:26:26 AM »

I'm sure there's no "best," and as Alan says, they can vary from unit to unit within the same mode and year.

But the "quietest" cars I've ever owned in terms of noise in the RF spectrum were my Mercedes 300SD diesels.  I had two of them in a row and they were both incredibly, eerily quiet.  No ignition noise, obviously (!) but also no "any" kind of noise from alternator, pumps, motors, anything.

They also go hundreds of thousands of miles without any service, which is another plus!

WB2WIK/6
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 12:22:20 PM »

As you have already been advised it is best to buy a car with a diesel engine, no sparks. After that, all the noise is generated by alternators, pumps, air blowers etc. The luxury cars, because of the extra cost, for example the Mercedes, will be a better choice for radio but BAD for your pocket !

Mel G0GQK
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 07:33:17 AM »

Diesels have been quiet in the past because the injection systems have been mechanical, but no more!

In an effort to control the emissions, most have now switched over to an electronic direct injection, or an electronic shuttle system. Both contain solenoids, and both as CPU controlled. These new diesels aren't quiet with respect to RFI.

Adding insult, the latest device from Bosch and others is a combination direct injector, igniter, and knock sensor all in one. I haven't had the opportunity o hear one yet, but I've been told they're worse than most COP equipped vehicles.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

AB9DZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 12:28:55 PM »

Thanks for the help. I'll just look for one that gets the best gas mileage and lack of interior noise. 73
KE6GLW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 12:42:49 PM »

A car with a chauffeur is best when operating mobile. Stretch limos are quiet and have the largest ground planes you'll likely see in an auto. Their power systems are also generous and you should have no trouble installing a couple FT-9000's and a couple 17" computer monitors for contesting mobile.

:^)
DROLLTROLL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 02:41:13 PM »

One of those futuristic flying cars they promised us back in the 50's and 60's would be perfect.
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 04:46:39 PM »

I've always had good luck with
Ford CVPIs.  

73 de Ronnie
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: