Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good, tinnable braid for grounding?  (Read 512 times)
AB2MH

Ignore
« on: April 26, 2006, 06:45:38 AM »

Where can I get good, tinnable braid suitable for grounding in a mobile installation?

I tried using the shield from old RG6 coax cable but it was difficult to solder.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 06:57:27 AM »

I also use braid from old coax.  Why would you need to solder it?  I just use crimp lugs on the ends.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
AC2RC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 07:03:41 AM »

Solder ? My 3/4" tinned braid [from www.thewireman.com  I think] is fastened with 1/4" stainless steel bolts nuts a washers to ground all parts of the vehicle..It must be metal to metal so scrape off paint , apply anti-oxidant goop and bolt to the vehicle. It will also solder easily if necessary.
AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 08:20:14 AM »

I ended up crimping the connectors, but I would have liked to solder the lug just to have that extra secure (electrically) connection.  

Everything works great now.  No more RFI into the stereo, low SWR and the receiver is also getting better signals.

As for anti-oxidant goop, I have the two can deoxit spray from radioshack.  One is for cleaning and one I believe is for protection.  Will that work or do you recommend something else?
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 10:38:28 AM »

I use plain tub o' bearing grease.  All you're looking for is a moisture barrier.  The no-ox stuff is specifically for Cu/Al connections, outside of that application it's just grease.  

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 12:23:48 PM »

AES and HRO both sell 3/4" and 1" wide pre-tinned braid. Although I use a lot of RG8 shield like Mark does, for heavier applications I use the pre-tinned stuff.

If you have a special application that requires a wider ground strap, your local roofing company should have copper flashing. The last piece I bought was essentially scape. It was 4" wide by 6 feet long, and cost me just $10.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 06:51:17 PM »

Thanks Alan.  I will look into that.
VE1IDX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 03:52:11 PM »

The problem is that you were using the braid from RG6 which is sat TV cable and is usually an aluminum alloy that resists being soldered.Use the braid from some old RG8 and it will suck up solder like nobody's business.
KS4XN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 06:07:07 AM »

Trying to get an idea of the specifics grounding/bonding. What's the best way to actually attach the wide ground strap in a mobile situation? Use a regular round connecter and squeeze it in? Just force the screw thru the strap?

If there are no likely pre-existing bolts do you drill a hole in the car's sheet metal?

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: