Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1997 Toyota Camry Installation  (Read 375 times)
KF4MDV

Ignore
« on: June 05, 2006, 08:26:41 AM »

I have a 1997 Toyota Camry in which I am about to attempt my first mobile installation (an IC-2100H) and was looking for anyone else with a Gen.4 Camry who might be able to give me some tips on doing the install.  I'm thinking of mounting the radio on the passenger side of the center console by fabricating a bracket that will fit  between the console and the carpet and bolt the radio to this bracket.  I'd planned to use a trunk lip mount on the passenger side, routing the coax through the edge of the fold-down seats in the rear and along the passenger side, under the passenger seat, and up to the radio.  I haven't yet figured out how to get good access to the engine compartment for electrical wiring, and also how to wire it (via relay, perhaps) to the ignition switch (so it cuts off during cranking and when the power is off).  Does anyone have a similar car who might be able to give me some tips on doing the install and especially the DC wiring?

Thanks,
David, KF4MDV
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 12:51:23 PM »

I can't help you with the other items, but forget the relay business - just turn the radio off when you aren't using it or when you start the vehicle. That's what power switches on mobile radios are for. <g>

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 07:47:04 AM »

There are several installations that are similar to the one you are thinking about on my web site under Installations. There is also a bunch of photos in the Gallery. Perhaps one of these will give you a few ideas. Also, read the VHF Options article.

I don't like trunk lip mounts, period! The coax eventually fails, which causes all sorts of problems. I'm an advocate of drilling the proper holes (especially with a 10 model year old car), and once you have some experience with a trunk lip mount, you'll know why.

I'm with Lon on the relay idea as it causes more problems than it cures. Most newer radios have an auto-off feature, and regardless of the installation, if the radio is equipped with it, use it. Worse case scenario is, the radio will reset when you start the engine. This doesn't happen with all cars, or all radios. As Lon says, if it bothers you, turn it off.

By the way, there is an unused plug in the firewall near the power brake unit. It is difficult to see, and difficult to use, but if you don't want to drill a hole, it will suffice in a pinch.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: