Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT 230R question  (Read 1876 times)
KD5FEP

Ignore
« on: June 03, 2006, 05:47:14 PM »

I have a Yaesu FT 230R I just installed in my vehicle, I have the manual on it but have been unable to determine how to set the pl codes on to access my local repeater. Anyone here have experience with this rig?

Larry
KD5FEP
AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 03:46:56 AM »

PL tones were an accessory for this radio, not a standard feature.  They did not come standard.  Strangely enough, it has the toneburst for european repeaters.
KD5FEP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 05:27:50 AM »

I appreciate that information, it lets me know where I stand. About par for the course, I am just trying to get active in radio again so the the first thing I do is buy a radio I can't use. I shall get better, lol.
Thanks again.
Larry
KD5FEP
AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 11:58:10 AM »

Yeah sorry about your situation with that radio.  Around here all of the repeaters are toned (they have to be else they'd be on 24x7 with all of the intermod and even uncoordinated or dx coordinated repeaters) so such a radio would only be useful for packet.
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 03:37:21 PM »

Actually PL tones weren't even offered as an option on the FT-230R.  Taht was only the case on the FT-730R. I bought one and an FT-730R new on closeout way back when in the 80s.

Larry, the good news is that it is easy to add PL to the FT-230R and it is an excellent old radio.  If a single tone is adequate for your area you can get a small ComSpec board.  It has three connections:  power (12V is fine), ground, and tone output. If you need to be able to change tones for different repeaters ComSpec does offer an external box, model TE-32, that could be wired in the same way.  It costs $50 brand new from AES and sometimes turns up on the used market for about half that.

The FT-230R gets excellent audio reports and is not prone to intermod.  There is no reason you shouldn't be able to use it.

Caity
K7VO
KD5FEP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 05:15:58 PM »

This has been quite helpful, Thank you.
I did order a board and plan to add tones to this radio.
Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: