Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom 7000 - the two microphone jacks  (Read 4027 times)
AB2MH

Ignore
« on: June 07, 2006, 07:49:00 AM »

Can the two mic jacks each have a mic on them and will the mic work?

I'm not talking about talking into both or keying up both at the same time.

I'm thinking maybe having a headset on one and the regular hand mic with the controls on the other.  That way I don't have to keep unplugging the headset to plug in the hand mic.

Here is my mobile situation - I have the 7000 remotely mounted in the trunk.  I have the control head mounted above just above the rear view mirror on a bracket.  I have absolutely nowhere else to mount the radio without getting in the way of airbags or using an ugly pedestal mount.  That's because I have another (VHF/UHF) radio in the car mounted in the pocket in the dash.  I have the mic stowed in the center console and the mic cable going to the 7000 in the trunk.  However, there is a mic jack on the head which I could see myself using with a headset occasionally.  I would, however, like to keep my mic controls because they come in very handy.  

So do you think I would be able to have something plugged into each mic jack at the same time?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 01:13:24 PM »

In a word, no!

Both mics are hot anytime they are plugged in, and both require power which is fed through the mic hot pin (pin 6). The extra current is not the problem, the impedance mismatch is.

BTW, you don't want to short out pin 6, and especially pin 1, as both can cause failure of the 8 volt regulator, and it IS NOT a cheap fix!

To the best of my knowledge, Bob Heil hasn't released his new Traveler head set for the IC-7000. If you're trying to use the one for the 706, you won't have audio to the earpiece. That used to be pin 3. Pin 3 is now the HM-151 sense connection. It tells the radio to make pin 8 either data in (HM-151) or a squelch switch connection (HM-103).

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 08:53:07 PM »

The new adapter for the 706/7000 has a 3.5mm jack for audio via the jack on the side of the face of the 7000.
AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 05:06:55 AM »

Okay so I guess I won't be using them both.  I'll just use one at a time.  THanks.
AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 10:51:59 AM »

So I finally got my heil traveler and adapter for the 7000.  It works great, but I will not use both at the same time.  
M1JSS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 09:26:41 AM »

A long time since this question was asked! Has anyone found the answer yet?
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 05:07:02 PM »

I have asked this same question on the 7000 users group and have been told that yes you can have both mics connected at the same time.  However, when one is keyed, the other mic is hot and any sound(s) near it will be picked up also.  Haven't tried it, but my question had more to do w/ using the Heil traveler head set plugged in to the back of the radio speaker jack and plugging in the stock mic into the radio back connector and the Heil into the remote mounted head so I wouldn't loose the remote controlling capability of the stock mic.  Haven't done it because I get good audio reports from the stock mic.  YMMV.  Good luck and hope this info helps.

Rick  wn2c
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 05:43:41 AM »

The answer would seem to be to disable the hand mike so that the microphone isn't active--or put a switch in it to shut off the mike element if you still want to be able to use it.  That way you can still have the control aspect of the hand mike active.  But then if you wanted to use the hand mike....
M1JSS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 06:18:19 AM »

I think you're onto something there. If anyone has disabled the mic element in a temporary way I'd be interested to see some photos of how it's been done.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 06:59:10 AM »

The trick is to make a cable up with the wire for the mic audio disconnected. 8 core screened cable small enough that you can crimp a RJ45 plug on the end. Either that or make a short patch lead with a male and female on it, plug that into the radio and the mike into that.
M1JSS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 07:34:33 AM »

Thanks for your reply M6GOM. Do you use this solution? If so what do you use as a second mic?
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 02:18:07 PM »

The trick is to make a cable up with the wire for the mic audio disconnected. 8 core screened cable small enough that you can crimp a RJ45 plug on the end. Either that or make a short patch lead with a male and female on it, plug that into the radio and the mike into that.

Cat 5 cable and a couple of RJ 45 connectors and a connector crimper.  If you own a radio w/ RJ 45 connectors, then the crimper will come in handy when the cable needs a new end on it as they sometimes pull out, cable cover gets loose...etc.

Rick wn2c
M1JSS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 11:46:26 PM »

Thanks to everyone who replied, I'll try the cat5 cable mod.
AD4IE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 03:23:36 PM »

Page 3 of the directions under #13 Microphone Connector it says, "do not connect two microphones simultaneously".  I'm a big believer in reading and following directions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: