Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi-Q Antenna Mount on Chevy Pickup  (Read 643 times)
K7PEH

Ignore
« on: July 27, 2006, 06:38:26 PM »

I just finished building a new mount for my new Hi-Q Antenna on my Chevy Pickup.  Since there are usually those interested in the variety of ways that an antenna can be mounted, I took pictures of the construction process and the result can be found on my web site.  Just go to http://www.k7peh.com and scroll down to the Hi-Q Antenna setup link.

phil, K7PEH
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 07:17:41 AM »

After seeing your previous installation, and now this one, I can safely say it is one of the best I have ever seen. Patients is indeed a virtue.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

PS: The seven Ps are alive and well!

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 07:24:35 AM »

I agree with Alan. A very nice and well engineered installation.

Nice job on the photos, as well.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 08:49:26 AM »

I like how the installation is done, however the only thing I don't like is the loose control head.  
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 09:34:00 AM »

Thanks for the comments.  As I mentioned to Alan already, I am still working on the shunt coil to get it right.  As of now, I favor 40 meters with a 1.1:1 SWR and 80 is a little high at 1.8:1.

About the loose control head...

Actually, I have a lot of loose things in my truck.  In the back seat area:

1.  Bicycle riding helmut.
2.  Bicycle riding shoes.
3.  Several books (usually).

In the front with me and the control head:

1.  My Starbucks coffee mug (heavier then the control head).
2.  My laptop computer and carrying case.
3.  And, often one or two books I use with work when I
find time to work.

I know that people say that a loose control head may be dangerous but it does not appear to be any more dangerous then any of the other objects I have in my vehicle.  The control head though is teathered and it will not move very far (maybe a foot or two) whereas all the other stuff could fly around quite a bit.
AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 11:11:47 AM »

For me it's not a question of safety as in flying object, it's a question about distraction.  I find it difficult to use something like that when it's loose.  I can't see how you will turn the tuning knob without either having it fastened or jammed onto something or holding it with both hands.  Can't do the latter when driving, of course.  And also if you brake suddenly the control head could be going all over the place.  

The rest of the setup is really nice though (can you sense a bit of jealousy here??? Cheesy ), but I really think that little piece can pose a problem.

Just my $.02.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 10:41:14 AM »

<< I know that people say that a loose control head may be dangerous but it does not appear to be any more dangerous then any of the other objects I have in my vehicle. The control head though is teathered and it will not move very far (maybe a foot or two) whereas all the other stuff could fly around quite a bit.>>

Remind me not to ride in your vehicle. Smiley

Seriously though, I have to agree with Ryan. loose flying objects issues aside, how do you adjust a "free-floating" control head in a moving vehicle and still keep the vehicle under control? Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 11:22:44 AM »

There seems to be some rather unusual thinking here about "floating" control heads.

Just to clear things up...

My control head is not floating, it sits on my center console unit of my truck where it has never moved unless I have physically moved it myself.

I rarely (and I repeat "rarely") make adjustments when I am driving.  One thing that I know is that fiddling with a radio while driving is more dangerous then "floating" objects in a truck.  So, I do not do it.

Most often I am parked on a single frequency.  When I am around town and it is daytime (these days), I am sitting on 7268.5.  If I am doing long distance travel which is when I generally use my radio, I pick a frequency and hang out there usually initiating calls with CQ. I pick that frequency at a rest stop and I will adjust it while driving only under unusual circumstances.

This idea that a remote head being movable is a highly dangerous thing strikes me as being a bit bizarre considering all the other things that are obviously a lot more dangerous but ignored by the ham radio community (or, so it seems at times).

For example, I have seen some guys mobile rigs have so much junk in their cars that I find it difficult to see how they drive at all.  Or, at one ham fest, one guy was proud of the fact that he had a rolling electronics work bench right there in the back seat of the car.  Not only lots of movable objects but half the rear window was blocked as well.

Of course, I do also carry my mountain bike around quite a bit because I drive to lots of places to ride on various trails and even some non-trails.  That bike probably poses a greater danger to me then the remote head in my truck.  I mean, you should see some of the places I ride.  No cliffs yet but a 40 degree slope sure looks like a cliff when you start down it from the top.

I mention the bike because this is when I like to use my truck rig the most.  After a 4-hour ride, I like to sit in my truck and while I am cooling down I work a number of stations.  One funny moment is that when I was still breathing heavily, one guy asked me if I had a shortness of breath or heart problems.  I said no, I just finished burning about 4000 calories riding my bike on mountain trails.  His answer to me is that the only calories he knows about were the ones he consumed in his steak dinner.  How sad.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 01:29:17 PM »

Well, to each his own.

FWIW, there are no loose objects in my vehicle, a '03 Ford Windstar, except the occasional soda can. Everything else is either in an enclosed space or secured so it can't move.

I do agree that I have seen more than one vehicle that looked like a rolling trash heap or junk yard.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 11:57:02 AM »

Well, to each his own, I guess.

I do like to QSY a lot when driving, but I believe that I do it in a safe manner.

The Turbo Tuner means no distraction during band changes.  Just put it on a quiet frequency, hit tune then wait for the "K" in morse and I'm set.  Then I can QSY around a bit without much variation in the SWR.

Also, the controls are on the hand mic as well, so I don't have to reach to the radio's control head all the time.

The radio also has a voice synth so I can hear what the frequency is.  I rarely look at the frequency.  I just zero beat.

Sorry if I don't "get" floating control heads.  They may work for you, well that's great for you.  However, I would never have that in my vehicle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: