The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile QSO Logging  (Read 1427 times)
KC2OZU

Ignore
« on: August 06, 2006, 08:51:09 PM »

Hi,

I was wondering what people do for QSO logging while mobile? Just don't do it? I'm interested in logging my contacts.

Any ideas?

I was thinking about possibly using some sort of digital voice recorder, where I could just press a button and dictate the information, but I don't know of any products like that.
AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 09:10:36 PM »

My XYL logs for me while driving, no issues there.  That is by far the best method.  If you have someone that can log for you that is the best.

Otherwise, I use my Treo's voice record feature.  If you have a cell phone it may have a voice record feature built in.  Some motorola phones such as the v60 and I think the T720, V710, E815 have that.  (not sure what there is in the GSM world.  Those are all CDMA phones).

Sometimes in a pinch I use the Icom 7000's voice recorder and sometimes I record the entire QSO.  I wish that there was an easy way to transfer it to the PC however... Hello Icom are you listening? Cheesy  

Many times though, I'm operating from a fixed location portable and I sometimes have a laptop and logging software (DX Keeper). Laptop is powered from the car (DC-DC converter).
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 06:00:50 AM »

I use a Olympus pocket voice recorder. you can buy them cheaply now. A 16 hour one is well under $100. While the aforementioned is one way, the Olympus is much easier to do, and can automatically puts each message in a separate folder. Once you get where you're going, it's a simple matter to put things on paper.

If you're portable, there are a lot more options including this one: http://www.n0hr.com/mobilelog_faq.htm

Of course, the main scenario should always be safety, and any device you use to log contacts must be learned well to avoid distraction.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 06:21:49 AM »

I use a pilot's flip-book clipboard that straps to my leg, and write it down with a pen.  The plus to that setup is there's a small red lamp that illuminates the pad at night.  Callsign, name, freq and time is about all you need.  

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 03:54:59 PM »

I normally only log out-of-the-ordinary QSOs when mobile. I keep a memo pad in the center console of my Windstar and If I am alone, I just jot down the specifics needed for a QSL card. If my wife is with me, she does it for me.

Note that I am talking about HF only. I don't remember the last time I logged a 2m/440 QSO.

The important thing is NOT to get distracted from your driving. Safety First!!!

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 01:28:05 PM »

Use a whiteboard (dry erase) marker on the inside of the
windshield or the driver's window.  That should do for
quick notes while driving, and they can be copied to the
permanent log when you are safely parked.  Sort of like
a head-up display - you can watch the road ahead while you
are writing, though bifocals make it a bit harder...
K6BQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 09:07:01 PM »

I also use a dry erase marker - mostly on the rear-view mirror. Being right-handed, writing on the driver's window doesn't work too well, but it's still easy to become distracted. I also use the voice recorder on my Pocket PC (Dell Axim x51v), where I also keep my log when I'm stationary.

73 de K6BQ
KC0VCU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 01:25:36 AM »

Grease pencil or china markers work on glass as well, and are not as likely to be accidentally erased by opening the drivers window at a drive through or other location.

Permanent Sharpies work the same way. A quick trick for cleaning black permanent sharpie is to over-write it with black dry erase, let that dry, then wipe it all off. (re-do with any bits of the permanent that didn't get released the first time.)

I have picked up a few sheets of masonite with a whiteboard surface in 4'x2' sizes in the past. This is handy for making convienent sized whiteboards for most purposes. You can even try out routing 'lines' in it to guid yourself, and fill them with a black laminate strips, or something. Tip here is to round any corners and edges that aren't going to be back filled with something. Otherwise you end up with lots of chips and breakage.

I currently carry a DXG digital camera, mp3 player, video camera, that also has a recorder built in. I haven't considered it for QSO logging, but as a Tech, it hasn't been a big issue yet. I have had other reasons to want to keep track of things as I'm driving though, so I may consider it for that as well. Not to mention using it to record myself rattling off the dits and dahs of teaching myself code by coding road signs licence plates, etc.

-Rusty - kc0vcu
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: