Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POWER capacitor in a Ham radio  (Read 685 times)
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« on: February 03, 2006, 11:07:20 PM »

Does anybody , have try to use one power capacitor, those big ones that you use for car audio amplifier , when installing your ham radio in the car? comments would be appreciated
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 06:03:37 AM »

You can read my comments by going to my web site and looking under Amplifiers.

Large value caps can be very dangerous if you're not careful. Units up to 10 Farads are now available, and incorrect charge or discharge can cause currents of several hundred amps, and could cause them to unglue catastrophically. Thus, it is important to properly fuse them, and protect their contacts from possible shorts.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 10:55:06 AM »

NO! I have been installing radios of various kinds in vehicles for almost 40 years and have never, not once, seen any need for them.

They are unnecessary for ham radio use, and as Alan points out, are actually rather dangerous.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KI6LO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 08:29:37 AM »

I agree with Alan K0BG that the large caps are not needed. I might add that if you are concerned about RFI and noise, visit the K0BG website. Also investigate using a West Mountain Radio RigRunner (or like product) for the RF filter it provides as well as a extremely easy methods of power distribution using Anderson Powerpoles. I use the 5 tap version (Model 4005) and never had any problems (or noise) with my mobile setup. Run the FT-100D and DK3 screwdriver antenna on HF, TM-G707A on 2M/440.

Gene KI6LO
www.radioroom.org
KB3MMX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 09:37:03 AM »

Does anybody , have try to use one power capacitor, those big ones that you use for car audio amplifier , when installing your ham radio in the car? comments would be appreciated  [END QUOTE]

I have used 15,000uf caps for AM radios before and they work well to cut noise and also smooth out the power to the radio. I also have used 8Ga wire with quick connects that I purchased from the local CB shop for $20 with about 20' of wire. It doesn't hurt to use heavier guage wire than what you need for the amperage requirement(less voltage drop).
KG8RI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 02:27:29 PM »

HI MY NAME IS DON I LIVE IN WEST VIRGINIA I AM A HAM RADIO OPERATOR I RUN ABOUT 500 TO 600 WATTS OUT, VIOCE PEAKS WILL PULL ABOUT 80 AMPS NORMALLY RUNS 40 TO 50 AMPS WHAT DO I NEED TO KEEP MY VOLTAGE FROM DROPPING BELOW 13 VOLTS, I THINK MY DODGE RUNS 13.8 VOLTS, I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP IT THERE IF POSSIBLE.  DO YOU HAVE SUGGESTION ON THE BEST AND CHEAPEST WAY THANKS  DON
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: