Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF in Honda Civic Hybrid ??  (Read 789 times)
KK7SS

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2006, 07:38:30 AM »

Has anybody put an HF rig in the Civic Hybrid??
How did you mount it??
Where (and how) did you put the antenna??
Interference to the Rig??
Interference to the Civic??

I'm committed to getting one... family reasons :-(
All help appreciated..

Dave
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 01:25:31 PM »

You won't have any problems with it, as long as you do a decent installation. The hybrid system itself is all but bullet proof as far as RF ingress is concerned. Egress is another matter, and there is some hash. It's more noticeable on the lowest bands.

When the engine is running there is some ignition noise, but it's not as bad as some Honda models.

Getting power from the engine bay into the car is done the same as other Hondas. There is a plugged hole just to the upper right of the gas peddle anchor point. It's actually easier to see from the engine side.

The biggest drawback is the lack of a stiff DC power supply. The way Honda (and others) supply power for the accessories, and the rather smallish battery limits you to 100 watts.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KK7SS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 08:51:46 PM »

Alan,

Thank you for your reply...
SO, it may be possible if I keep to under 100W... I'm assuming that is for the HF bands...

I didn't see anyplace I could mount a spare battery without having a long cable run i.e. in the (very) small trunk.

What about mounting the antenna... the only possibility I see is for a 3 magnet mount on the roof with one of those mini screwdriver antenna's..
I have a feeling that putting a permanent ball mount on the trunk lid might void the warranty...

From where I am in S.Central WA state, the only other choice would be 2M. But there would be large areas of no coverage... so I'm leaning towards 80/40/20M operation..

I ahven't heard of anyone around here putting a Ham rig in a hybrid... most of them are in 'pick-em-up' trucks.

Dave
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 06:13:04 AM »

You're talking to the wrong guy when it comes to mag mounts. I consider them a scourge for a variety of reasons. Personally, I've never heard of a hole voiding the warranty, and God knows I've drilled a lot of them!

If 100 watts (200 input) is all you're planning, you won't need a second battery. Albeit small, the main battery will be enough as long as you keep an eye on it. The controller is smart enough to start the engine if the main battery drops below a preset level. I've not measured the level at whci it does this, and although the local Honda dealer has allowed me to play with one, there is a limit to his generosity I'm sure.

My brother (KØHYG, sk), ran an FT-757 in a Prius without any problems one could blame on the radio. In fact his widow would still be driving it if she hadn't scrapped the bottom out of it going over an icy culvert.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KK7SS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 09:13:34 AM »

Alan,

Thanks for the advice...

Maybe a hole in the boot lid??  I don't fancy trying to cut into the roof...

As for the battery, the Civic Hybrid is a gas engine with electric assist - the opposite of the Prius.. so maybe there will not be as much strain on the battery as I was thinking..

I called Honda... the guy on the phone said "I don't have any inbformation about putting Ham radios in the Hybrid, but we don't generally recommend it"!!

But FIRST--- I visitied your web site and I'm going to read everything about mobile there before I post any more stupid comments..

BTW  I was first Mobile in the UK in 1964, as G3UTY, home brew 10W on top band to an home brew 8ft center loaded whip...  but the car was an old junker Undecided

Later
Dave KK7SS
KC2MMI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 01:39:46 PM »

Dave, not to go off topic but why the hybrid? "She who must be obeyed" ?

I'm told that Consumer Reports just came out with comparisons on the hybrids and they say the same thing that Forbes and Fortune have said: The hybrid is the most expensive way to drive, even for a heavy driver, even after all rebates. And when you factor in overall pollutants (i.e. from a power company to make power remotely, or a manufacturing plant to make a zillion batteries, the whole power picture) they aren't particularly clean or economical. The only thing everyone can agree on after all the numbers, is that they are a very expensive way to say "I'd like a cleaner environment" without actually *doing* anything about one.

Except, of course, SWMBO is still the trump card.<G>
KC2AQN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 05:26:54 PM »

also looking for information on installing a HF in a Honda civic hybrid. What is the best radio to install? how should I install it? any information is greatly appreciated
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: