Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tri Mag mounts  (Read 369 times)
KD8CPP

Ignore
« on: January 13, 2007, 10:27:23 AM »

I had a comet CP5M mount, but the thread wore out on it within a day of using it. I have a comet SBB7 NMO antenna, and need a mount. The antenna is approx. 58in tall. I am looking at the Valor tri mag mount, but I was wondering, as long as I put a thin piece of cloth so it won't scrap the paint, how hard are they to get off? I know they hold, but I need something to move from the house airconditioner, to my mom's van, or grandpa's car.

Thanks

Tyler Lewis
KD8CPP
N5EAT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 10:47:23 AM »

Getting a tri or quad mag mount off a car's surface is something which takes practice.  The first few times you remove it, you will probably scratch your paint.  I've never caused anything I couldn't get out with rubbing or polishing compound. I've become very good at it now, but I had lots of practice on vehicles that weren't show quality to begin with.

Putting anything between the magnets and the car's surface somewhat compromises the hold the mount will have on the car. It may also degrade the electrical connection between the mount and car.  
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 05:00:45 PM »

There's no way to remove those big mounts WITHOUT damaging the pant! You might do it successfully one or two times, but you WILL damage the paint.

Anything you put between the mount and the roof/deck will do two bad things: (1) lessen the pull of the magnets, making the mount even more likely to come loose in the event of a collision and (2) reduce the already poor RF coupling to the vehicle.

The only mounting worse than a mag-mount is a glass mount. And this statement comes from putting antennas of all kinds  - both amateur and commercial -  on vehicles of all kinds over the last 40 years.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 05:15:23 PM »

Go to my web site, and read the article; VHF Options.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: