Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Installers in Portland, OR area?  (Read 613 times)
TOMINOREGON

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2007, 12:01:38 AM »

I am planning on getting an FT-857D and ATAS-100 antenna plus an FT-8900 for my wife's car in the next 2 months.  I am wondering if there are any installers in the Portland, oregon area and how much money a typical install costs.  My wife's car is a Geo Storm (not much room in there) and I believe she plans to continue using her magnetic mount antenna.  I will be installing into either my Chevy K1500 Xcab truck or a Toyota Tercel wagon.
Thanks,
   Tom
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 06:23:25 AM »

Why not do it yourself? If you want to know how, visit my web site.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 09:14:03 AM »

Or check for a local commercial radio dealer/installer (Motorola or other), maybe ask at you local police dept who does their radio installs. An auto stereo install shop could do power wiring for you too.
TOMINOREGON

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 04:39:03 AM »

Ideally, I would prefer to be able to work alongside the installer to see what is different about installing Amateur radio equipment from car stereos.  I have done a number of car stereo installs and wired in a number of accessories, but I know little about where the ideal locations are for installing transcievers.  I am also terrified of drilling holes for the antennas, because even though there's a 99% chance I'll get it right, I don't want to screw it up.  I can ask the fire chief where he gets their radios installed.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 06:02:34 AM »

Tom, if you plan out your work before hand, installing a transceiver is actually easier than installing a stereo. And you don't have to get into the door panels, or mess with the dash.

As for a place to mount the unit, look at the Photo Gallery on my web site. There are a couple of hundred photos of how other have done it.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 06:34:26 PM »

Tom,  I had my installation in my Chevy Truck done at the local Car Toys store in Kirkland, Washington.  I see that there are several Car Toys outlets in the Portland area.  You might check them out.  Remember, doing the wiring work for power to a rig is not too different from the wiring to a high-power car amp.  At least as far as the DC current goes.  In fact, your power needs might be a little on the light side compared to the work they normally do.

Of course, they are also experts in installing equipment, doing wiring for speakers, and so on.  Also, I was fortunate to work with the lead technician one-on-one in explaining all that I wanted done.  

In my case, the work that I had done included the drilling of the holes to run the battery cable wires to the back seat where I had my rig installed.  Also, they intalled in-line fuse blocks and a heavy duty (100 amp) terminal block in the rear to make hooks ups easy for me.  They also hooked up a my in-dash stereo option controls for my external speaker and this was switchable right there on the dash.

In total, for the parts, labor, and so on it was about $390 plus tax -- of course, you don't have tax in Oregon.  And, I was very pleased with their work.

The work that I did myself including the ground straps at various points on the truck and also the antenna mounting.  I have photos of this installation on my web site.

And, I also visited Alan's web site and studied it quite a bit and it was very useful and helped me in choosing the way to go and how to ensure that things were done right.  But, for me, it was just easier to pay someone to do this work rather than take my own time to do it.  My time is precious and I like to choose other activities to spend it on.  However, I did enjoy building my antenna mount and installing that so I am not totally lazy.

phil, K7PEH
www.k7peh.com
W7CLC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 03:02:18 PM »

I just recently finished the install of the FT8800 in my Crown Vic.  I stole a lot of information from Alan’s website and even exchanged a few emails with him.  He and his website are fantastic resources.  

Like you, I was going to just pay someone else to do it (I was quoted $60 - $80 from a local radio shop).  In the end, I decided to do it myself.  The radio body is in the trunk.  My first choice of head-unit location didn’t work out, so I ended up using the RAM suction-cup mount from my Garmin V and mounted it up on the windscreen.  It’s a pretty complicated radio and I don’t like taking my eyes away from the road for long (crazy WA drivers!).  This location is perfect for me.

Also, I would strongly recommend an NMO mounting over the magnet.  
TOMINOREGON

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 04:25:44 AM »

OK, now it looks like the budget has changed.  Now we will be getting Yaesu FT-1802s for both vehicles and I will be attempting to do the installs myself.  What are good mounting options for the radio bodies themselves in our vehicles?  These do not have remote faceplates, so it complicates things a little.
     For my 1988 Silverado X-cab, I plan to buy a 2m/440 antenna (I'm looking at the Larsen NMO 2/70 and the Diamond CR320A) and mount it in the middle of the roof with an NMO mount.  I figure I can then use the same antenna later when I upgrade to an FT-857D.  From the looks of things, I can use the standard radio mount to place the transciever under the dash.  The problems I foresee with this is that it would be directly exposed to heat from the heater vents (and the FT-1802 seems to run hot already from the reviews) and it will essentially render my floor-mounted console useless.  I plan to later mount the ATAS-120 on a headache rack when I have a use for it.  I have to keep my bed and bed rails free in order to haul hay.
     For my wife's Geo Storm, I would like to install an NMO mount on the roof of her car, but I'm not sure I will have access without tearing down the whole headliner, which is not a project I want to do.  As far as mounting the transciever, there are practically no options.  There is no available space to mount it that I can see.  I am currently thinking about using a flexible RAM mount so it can be moved out of the way when she has a passenger.  The downsides I see with this is that a flexible RAM mount won't be as safe in the event of panic stops or collisions as a solid mount, and that the hot surface of the FT-1802's heatsink could burn someone in the passenger's seat.  
     It looks like I will have to drill holes in the firewalls of both vehicles to run power and ground cables.  I will use a grommet to protect the wires where they pass through the firewall and silicon around the wires to keep fumes and the weather out.  What is the best way to hook these up to power on when the ignition is turned?  Run the power to a relay that is energized by the ignition switch?  If there is anything that I am missing or if anyone sees a better way of doing something, please let me know.
     Alan, your website is very informative, but almost all of the installations are transcievers with remote faces and HF antennas.  I couldn't find much there about installing NMO mounts through body panels or routing coax/power cables.  Did I miss something somewhere?

Thanks,
   Tom
AGENTSKELLY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 03:34:48 PM »

I think someone over at Day Wireless can point you to the right direction actually
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: