Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Audio through car stereo  (Read 480 times)
JS6343

Ignore
« on: January 28, 2007, 01:51:27 PM »

I have read quite a few strings on FM modulation to run audio through the car stereo. That solution seems like to much a distraction for me personally. However has anyone had experience with a direct connection to the stereo using something like the GM12-AUX?

Link http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JeMfztIjQ2s/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=770&I=469GM12AX2&search=AUX+ADAPTER

Right away I noticed the plug ins are different vs. an 8900 audio out.

Anyone know whether this would work?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 03:22:41 PM »

You can buy the adapter from allelectronics.com for about $4. It is my personal opinion, but having full frequency audio out of an amateur transceiver is not a desired attribute.

In fact, I built in a passive audio filter in my mobile speaker to cut out all of the highs over 2.5 kHz, and most stuff lower than 800 Hz. After all, SSB is not suppose to be HiFi, and if you REALLY want to be able to hear weak signals, it's best to limit any frequency outside of about 400 and 2,200 Hz.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

JS6343

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 04:35:49 PM »

Alan,

Would it change your mind if you were only running v/u fm?

kc9kkz
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 06:42:44 AM »

Maybe, but it depends on how clean the audio amplifier is in the radio. If it is as bad as most Icom's are, you'll hear things you don't want to hear.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 09:17:36 AM »

I have a blitzsafe adapter that fools the car stereo into thinking there's a CD changer attached.

It's great.  Not so much for fidelity (although that is good) but for integration.  

A couple of things to be aware of -

- Some adapters will disable features such as satellite radio, your CD changer or in some cases OnStar.  Be sure to investigate what they disable and what you're comfortable with.  Fortunately for me, I got mine when Blitzsafe worked out the bugs and allowed both XM and the aux adapter to be used in my Honda.

- Don't run the speaker level out from your radio to the adapter.  Get a matching transformer instead.  It's available from car stereo shops.  It helps with reducing noise pickup and helps ensure that you don't overload your car stereo.

My installation is mentioned in February '07 CQ magazine in the "mobiling" column.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: