Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6 and 10 Meter Mobile Ant  (Read 494 times)
WD4HLD

Ignore
« on: January 14, 2007, 09:52:01 AM »

Does anyone have a suggestion of a good mobile antenna to support operation on 6 & 10 meters? I have a Jeep Liberty and would like to keep the antenna length in the 48" to 54" range.

Thanks in avance for assistance.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 11:18:47 AM »

Except for a couple of lousy import antennas, no one that I'm aware of makes a dual band antenna covering both.

Depending on your interest, and the efficiency you're striving for, a full 1/4 wave is the way to go, at least on 6. That's easily accomplished with just the 54 inch mast of a Hustler. If you do this, use the solid one, not the fold over. It you want 10 too, buy a 10 meter coil for it.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 06:19:08 AM »

Take a look at this one:

http://www.cometantenna.com/newPro_detail.php?ID=55

Dennis KG4RUL
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 12:49:42 PM »

With all due respect, Dennis, the gain figures are bogus, as are the power handling capabilities.

Does the antenna work? Probably. Does it work well? Not likely.

Virtually all the Comet, Diamond, Maldol and other import _mobile_ antennas are not worth the money. The dual-band fixed antennas are a little better, but not much.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 05:54:40 AM »

Lon, Please direct us to empirical data that supports your assertions.  Otherwise, my recommendation is as valid as your negative comments.  I have used a Comet tri-band antenna for over four years with good results and no problems.  I have no reason to believe that the quad-band unit would be any different.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 06:25:41 PM »

Dennis:

Read the fine print as to how their gain figures are derived.

Comet, Diamond and the other imports DO work; not one said they didn't. Light bulbs work as antennas, too. Smiley

I'll put a comparable Larsen against any of the imports any day. The Larsens are better made, last longer and have honest specs. Ask any of the commercial shops and see how many of the imports they mess with.

Been installing radios and antennas in vehicles for about 40 years now - amateur commercial and a lot of stuff in between.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 12:17:44 PM »

I'd be concerned about that weight of 1 foot, 6 inches!

Shocked)

Terry, WØFM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: