Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: High Sierra versus Tarheel Screwdriver antennas  (Read 661 times)
N7GCO

Ignore
« on: February 13, 2007, 10:14:41 PM »

I would like to hear from anyone who has used both (Not the short versions).  How do they compare in construction quality?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 05:25:36 AM »

If you go to my web site, and look in the Photo Gallery under Other Installs, you might just get your answer.

Based on all of the correspondence I've received, the High Sierra gets the nod. I've installed a couple myself, although I've never personally owned one. The quality is consistent which speaks volumes.

Personally, I prefer the HiQ if for no other reason than the length doesn't change with frequency. This fact points out a couple of shortcomings most screwdriver designs have, and that is weather sealing and sturdiness.

Some of the lessor designs are so bad, you can't drive through a rain storm without getting the insides wet.

When the antenna is extended to its full length (75 meter operation), the antenna is at its weakest point. Some are so poorly made they actually flop back and forth on their screw support.

So what ever you choose, make sure these two very important points are covered.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 10:57:06 AM »

I have not used the Tarheels, but I have looked at them extensively during the Baltimore Hamfest and on various vehicles.

There's no way I would trade my High Sierra 1800 for any of the Tarheels. There simply is no comparison in quality of materials and construction.

I know Alan is a Hi-Q fan because the antenna doesn't change length, but I operate 75m mobile quite a bit and have no stability problem with the antenna fully extended.

The most important part of any HF antenna is proper (and solid!) installation. Photos of my installation are on Alan's web site.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: