Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: in car handie use ??  (Read 344 times)
GM1ZVJ

Ignore
« on: March 22, 2007, 09:55:21 AM »

Anyone advise me on the best solution to the following ??

Have a dualband  2/70 cm antenna on the rear off the car on a boot mount, this particular mount came supplied with several metres off heavy rg58 style coax, say RG58 but to be honest I am not 100% sure what it is, no markings, clear see thru outer cable, looks quality enough ??

anyway planning on running a dualband vhf/uhf handie from within the car and want to have this handie running in conjunction with this dualband antenna, the coax that is on the antenna is a bit too heavy duty for feeding to the set top mounted sma connector so just wonder if it practical enough to use a joining connector along with say a couple off feet off thinner rg58 style coax to complete the final trip to the set itself ??

likely to notice too much loss at vhf /uhf doing this ?? or not enough to worry about ??

only other idea is to change the whole length off coax for thinner rg58 but would prefer to just use the original new stuff if my idea above sounds okay ??

anyone advise ??
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 10:16:32 AM »

Assuming that the installed coax is around 50 ohms, A short section of thinner RG58 would not be a problem. I have done this in the past. The problem with using a mobile antenna with some HT's is overload and IMD in larger urban areas. Good luck.

73, de Lindy  
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 10:31:02 AM »

You could even go a step further and use a foot or two of RG174 for a pigtail to the HT.
GM1ZVJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 11:05:19 AM »

Okay thanks guys so you reckon the extra barrel connector / plugs will not make enough difference in signal loss etc at vhf /uhf to worry about ??

cheers
WH6QB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 10:22:13 AM »

I use a Yaesu VX-5 in my car. It has the SMA antenna connection. I bought a nifty little cable that is SMA on one end and PL-259 on the other to connect to my antenna. Works fine. I forget who makes it, but I got it at HRO in Anaheim, CA.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: