Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Technique to bond (rf ground) Van sliding doors  (Read 395 times)
K1DRW

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2007, 04:37:19 AM »

An area of my Van (2006 Dodge Grand Caravan) that I have not applied RF ground straps to, is both side sliding doors.  I am looking for suggestions.  Of course, a solution with picture(s) would be ideal.  Sincere thanks for any ideas to solve this issue. 73.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 05:20:50 AM »

It's a little tough to do. One of the "contact buttons" is indeed at chassis ground, but the wire running to is on the body side is about 8 inches long. This is okay, but it appears to be number 16. You can take the trim off an install a braid instead, but like I said it takes a lot of work to accomplish. Is it worth doing, maybe. Every little bit helps, but you might not be able to measure the difference.

Maybe just as important is grounding the radiator shell (for RFI egress reduction). Thankfully that task is much easier to accomplish.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

VE4AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 03:00:16 PM »

I solved a similiar problem on a sliding  glass curtain wall which was parked open during regular mall business hours for customers to enter.The glass curtain had  a built-in man door ,again made of glass for staff to use their access cards on when the mall closed. Everything had to move on a floor rail system yet still have motion detection for electric strike release on the man door ,intercom, card access reader etc. when the man door was used for evening staff .  Daniel Woodhead corded multiconductor retractable reels solved this  problem  . Similiar fix to have a RF ground connection  move on a  sliding van door is maybe  install a heavy duty curly cord near the door top cut to length  to uncoil when the van door is closed  and coiled  when door is  closed. Not the best overall  considering the uncoiled  length of this RF ground may cause others problems.Rule of thumb is keep these  bonding grounds for  RF short.

Bill
VE4AAZ
N2IK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 05:23:38 PM »

The doors only need to be bonded when closed. You might try berrylium copper or phosphor bronze finger stock strips on the door and on the frame which bond the door when it is parked and open when the door is unlatched and slid.

73 de Walt N2IK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: