Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YAESU FT-8900 Mic Extension Lead.. HELP!  (Read 899 times)
G0YAP

Ignore
« on: March 22, 2007, 12:18:24 PM »

I own an FT-8900 and would like to fit the head unit away from the mic in my car. The Yaesu mic extension lead is way too expensive and I am put off by the statement from Yaesu saying that using this extension will make some buttons on the mic erractic!!! Does anyone know where I can buy the parts to make one myself?  Best Regards, Ian, G0YAP, England  e mail;  g0yap@msn.com
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 02:53:50 PM »

hey don't lie, and there isn't too much you can do about it. The reason the buttons are erratic has more to do with button bounce, rather than an RF problem. The longer the cable, the more capacitance it has. This has a tendency to integrate the wave form so it looks more like a sine wave that a square wave. I don't suppose you could make one any better than theirs.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KC2OYH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 11:51:45 AM »

i made mine just using a 6 wire telephone extension cable and the associated female to female coupler for such.  In my 1 mobile it is about 12 feet long (with my ft7800) and the other has a 25 ft cable (with my ft-8900) i've not had an issue at all with either of them.  I also hated the mic exiting the side of the head as i have the head mounted over the steering column near the gauges so its in a fairly natural position to glance at without taking my concentration off the road.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: