Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DB Mobile Recomendations?  (Read 593 times)
AC2Q

Ignore
« on: March 23, 2007, 07:21:19 AM »

Hello! I currently have a Kenwood TM-V7A "Cool Blue" that I run Mobile. I am currently running an HT with a DB amp in the house and am looking to upgrade that. I like the TM-V7A and have NO issues with it, but have heard enough "noise" about the Display Lines issue that I am not considering it. So, I am looking for a DB Mobile Rig, Dual Recieve Not required, built in TNC not required, just a Bare Bones DB Mobile.Of course Price is always an Issue.

So, let's here what you folks have to say in Terms of Recommendations.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 08:16:23 AM »

Ask 5 people, and get 5 different answers.

Buying any radio is a personal choice based on how you're going to use it, and the features it has that you need or want. To be honest about it, all of the big three can meet the need.

The main considerations are size, remote capability, does it requires a duplexer (1 or 2 antenna ports), and a few others.

So, your safest bet is to go to your nearest dealer and test them for yourself.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 09:44:05 AM »

I rarely agree with Alan, but on this issue.

There are so many dual band rigs out there you really need to narrow your search.  What suits me probably won't suit you.

Personally, I use an FT-8800 but many don't like the very small display and buttons - if you are into bells and whistles on the display, this one ain't it.  I like it because the head end is very small and easy to install in my rather small car.

If size were no object, I'd like bigger knobs, esp. the tuning dials, and a larger frequency readout.

Those are my personal comments, YMMV obviously.

I rather like the look of the Icom dual band not dual watch, they have a rather large dial.

Good luck
AC2Q

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 12:05:57 PM »

Ask You, and Get NO answer =0)

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 12:17:25 PM »

Mike, part of the problem is the feature lists on late model radios reads like a phone book! But as sure as heck, the one single feature you just have to have, sadly isn't there!

The only way you can be sure any given radio will fulfill your needs, is to play with one at your local dealer. The antecedent is, if you take someone's opinion of what you're looking for, you're going to be disappointed in the long run.

Think about this. Would you want me to choose a wife for you?

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

AC2Q

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 04:06:27 AM »

Alan, KØBG, wrote:

Think about this. Would you want me to choose a wife for you?

---------------------------------------------

I would need to at least see a photo first =0)
N0MUD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 11:01:32 PM »

Well my choice and I guess this is one of five is the Yaesu brand.  I own three FT-8800r's which are dual band / dual receive, extremely nice easy radios to operate, tune, use etc.  My other is I have three FT-7800r's and all six are the mobiles.  The FT-7800 is a dual band but NOT dual receive and again very easy to operate, tune, use etc. I keep one of each as a spare, just in case.  I've had the FT-8800s the longest, over four years now. With the 8800 you have dual volume, dual tune in other words you can tune each side to what ever freq you desire, VV / UU / VU / UV and I think I covered them all.  Anyways just take my info for info, take one for a test drive and make your decision from that.  Oh and as one HAM put it they are very difficult to tune while you are driving, well DUH!!!!! Don't be a dummy tune the radio before you go driving and all you have to do is just click the top of the mic to change channels for which ever side your on.  I also have the program for each rig and I now find it is faster to just manually tune the radio than it is to plug the radio into your computer bring up the program  make any changes then download to the radio. To me thats alot of work.  If you have the freq, offset, tone then it's faster to just manually enter them. but thats just me.  Anyways that's my two cents worth. so

73s Mike, N0mud
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: