Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diamond HVC 7CX antenna  (Read 1296 times)
2E0BSS

Ignore
« on: April 10, 2007, 01:38:53 PM »

Can someone for certain tell me if the above antenna covers 14MHz? The store claims it does,although the packaging says it needs an optional coil. Thing that is confusing me (that isn't hard) is an extra element of a length which isn't listed on the instruction sheet. I have elements for 50/21/28/7/144/433 and this spare one. The antenna is sold as a 7 band, however anyone can see unless this extra element is 14MHz then it's a 6 band.

Please help

Charlotte 2E0BSS
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 02:36:39 PM »

Charlotte, it does if you buy the coil for it. However, if I were you, I'd shy away from any of the asian imports, especially the HF ones. Efficiencies are in the single digits (or less), even on 10 meters.

Tiny, long coils, equate to lossy antennas. Yes, you can make contacts, but with the band conditions the way they are, it takes a good antenna (and a good installation) to get consistent results. Unfortunately, this usually equates to big ugly antennas, properly bolted on.

Lots of amateurs get by with a simple hamstick and have a lot of fun. Others wouldn't even think of using one. I'm in the latter group. In either case, you have to decide how serious you are about mobile operation, which always dictates how far you're willing to go.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 09:34:30 AM »

It's a six-band antenna with an option for the 7th band - per their advertisements.

I have to agree with Alan that this is probably not going to work all that well on HF, but it should work some.  Personally, my expectations for mobile operation are not that high to begin with.

I believe one of the main issues with this antenna is that you will find each band's usable bandwidth will be rather narrow - be sure to tune carefully.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: