Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna location  (Read 396 times)
N8BBB

Ignore
« on: April 13, 2007, 08:40:36 AM »

I have a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan with a luggage rack. My garage door is 7' tall. I want to install an antenna, that will not hit the door head when I come or go from the garage. I also don't want to use a fold over as I would have to get out of the van before entering or exiting the garage to raise or lower the antenna and this I am sure would wear out the joint from the constant use. I am going to purchase a Yaesu FT-8800 dual band. I was thinking of an antenna in the 36" to 41" range and using a mount similar to the Diamond K400 mounted low on the drivers side of the rear door. I would mount the antenna such that the antenna would clear the door head. The top of the antenna would be something like 12" to 16" above the top of the van. Will the antenna have a lot of bend or wabble at speed? By mounting the antenna at the left rear will this make the wave pattern directional. I know I will loose what ever ground plane from not mounting in the center of the roof, but I cannot mount there due to height.
Has anyone had any luck using something like the Diamond K9000 Motorized Mount with the any of the four recommended Diamond antennas?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: