Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: rig in MDX?  (Read 344 times)
N2EHG

Ignore
« on: April 15, 2007, 04:59:30 AM »

Just wondering if anyone has installed a 2m or 2m/440 rig into an Acura MDX  

I see it's loaded with electronic 'black boxes' all over  and was looking for some advice where mounting the rig might be 'best/safest'

the only place i could think of was front passenger seat   but not sure if this is far enough from the center console electronics  

thanks
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 05:42:35 AM »

It isn't so much you getting into the electronics (albeit that happens), but the electronics getting into you.

Like all modern Hondas (and a lot of others too), there is a common data buss which carries signals to the various electronic devices. The data rates are: K-line:10.4 kbps; B-CAB:33.33 kbps; and the F-CAN:500 kbps. These data lines run throughout the vehicle, and are coincident to the running of the fuel pump. It in turn, runs when the ignition is first turned on, any time the engine is running, and runs after you turn off the ignition and there is still oil pressure. This fact leads a lot of folks (including me), to come to the conclusion it is the fuel pump causing the egress. It isn't.

The harmonics extend well into the VHF range, and can effect almost any mode of transmission including FM. One of the biggest "leak" points is the area where the AM/FM, Navi, and XM radio antennas are located (at the rear of the vehicle's roof).

This behooves you to mount the antenna away from this area to minimize both ingress and egress. On an MTX, the best spot is the front of the vehicle. I have to assume you're not a hole driller, so an angle bracket is probably your best bet.

As for the radio, the MTX may or may not have a power operated right seat (depends on trim level), and if it doesn't, this is the best place to mount the body of the radio. As for the head, you might look at the Photo Gallery on my web site, and look at the Other Installs album. You just might get a few ideas.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N2EHG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 07:55:02 AM »

greatful for your taking the time to share some tips,

howwever while you made a valid point  I am not concerned about the vehicle bothering my rig

as posted i am strictly concerned with rf transmissions potentially bothering the vehicle electronics and as such am hoping to get some fellow hams that might have the particular vehicle , to share advice

again thanks very much appreciate it
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: