Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Noise level from antenna  (Read 321 times)
N7GCO

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2007, 12:04:23 AM »

I am installing my equipment in a new vehicle, a Honda Ridgeline. Equipment includes Icom 706, new High Sierra 1800 screwdriver antenna, new turbo turner.

I have run separate wires (6 gauge) directly from the battery. The antenna has two grounds directly to sheet metal and both are under 2' long. There is no short in any wire I can find.

With the motor off and the antenna not connected, the radio is very quiet. When the antenna is connected (with the motor still off) the noise level raises considerable.

If this normal? If not, what should I be looking at to reduce the noise level?

Thanks, Mel
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 05:53:55 AM »

You don't explain what kind of noise you are experiencing. Most vehicle
"noise" (RFI actually) comes from the ignition system. In my case, my Ridgeline is VERY quiet ignition wise, but I've done all of the necessary bonding, etc. There is another problem with the Ridgeline you need to know about. If you e-mail me, I'll fill you in.

Further, you didn't state how or where you mounted the antenna, which has some effect on the actual S+N/N ratio. You did state you used a ground strap. A ground strap IS NOT a substitute for a ground plane under the antenna.

There is obviously more to this, so I suggest you visit my web site, and read up.

Also visit the Photo Gallery.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N7GCO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 09:55:10 AM »

Thanks Alan for your reply and your help!

The noise I was referring to is a general noise of a constant nature.  I think what surprised me is that the noise is as strong as is it with nothing in the Ridgeline turned on.

The antenna is mounted on the drivers side rear.

Presently, there are two grounds from the antenna. One is the 1 1/4" braid and it is attached to the metal behind the tail light. The other is the ground cable High Sierra sells and it is attached to metal on the left edge of the tailgate. On both attachment points I have sanded off the paint so that is it screwed into bare metal.

When I get everything the way I want, I plan to put the antenna connecting wires in a box to protect them from the weather and road debris. I will also shorten some of the wires around the 706 body.  The head is mounted similar to yours at the console.

I will in the next couple of days: 1) add three ground strips to the exhaust pipe and 2) add a ground to the motor as you have suggested.

Thanks for you insights,

Mel
N7GCO

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: