Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 40m causing engine stall  (Read 2178 times)
KC2RFQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 06:50:08 AM »

PROBLEM RESOLVED!!!!! (at least in the Chevy Trailblazer)
I can't believe how blind I was. Several years ago I installed a new, high end radio/video monitor system in the Trailblazer. In order to retain the steering wheel controls for both the radio and the climate control, I had to add a small device which interfaces with the vehicle's Class 2 data bus. I had forgotten completely about this. Well, all that was needed was a a few turns through a ferrite on the data wire coming from that unit where it taps into the vehicle data line...a very simple fix and less than 5 minutes work. I have spent maybe 40 hours pouring over the car's wiring diagrams and was just at the point of installing caps on all of the leads going into the HVAC control module. An AhHa! moment at 3:00AM in the morning led me to go back to basics; what else had I done to this car that could be susceptible to radiated RF? My first step was to disconnect the data wire from the device going to the car's data bus. (I had wisely installed  a quick connect here). Problem was immediately gone. Step two, would a ferrite on this lead solve the issue? Wound 4 or five turns thru a ferrite, reconnected and YIPPEE! Issue Resolved!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 06:53:50 AM by Steven Fishman » Logged
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 08:26:24 AM »

Yup! The data interfaces built in are seldom a problem, but the add on stuff almost always is. Have had the issue myself.

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: