The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Airborne repeater with structurally integ. antenna  (Read 3162 times)
ODYSSIAN

Ignore
« on: March 04, 2005, 06:43:26 PM »

I have a small business that is involved in developing technology associated with the integration of electronics, sensors, antenna, etc. into structure.  We are interested in integrating an antenna into a small unmanned airplane to demonstrate com relay (repeater) for the USAF. Due to FCC regulations and logistic issues, we plan to conduct our initial demonstration using the 2M and 70cm bands. We are interested in talking with people who can assist.  Of immediate interest is locating a small lightweight (1 lb or less) repeater that is commercially available.

Please call or write if you are interested or have advice on the location of hardware.

Best regards,

Barton Bennett
ODYSSIAN TECHNOLOGY
(574) 257-7555 - Office Phone

W7DJM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 08:30:01 PM »

First of all, military operation does not come under FCC regulations.

Next, you could be very well treading on some very slippery, not to mention wet, thin, ice, here.

Amateur radio was NOT EVER intended to be a conduit for developing, promoting, selling, or demonstrating commercial devices.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 05:58:31 AM »

Thin ice? That's water out there. It may be very calm at the moment, but try to using amateur radio for a commercial enterprise and it will roil quicker than a wink. As suggested, use a military frequency and let them tell you which one to use.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 06:19:54 AM »

Barton,

<< We are interested in integrating an antenna into a small unmanned airplane to demonstrate com relay (repeater) for the USAF.>>

Have you actually talked to anyone at DoD or AF about this? I will be greatly surprised if this doesn't already exist and in use in various combat zones.

Lon
KC2MMI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 08:37:15 AM »

<Due to FCC regulations and logistic issues, we plan to conduct our initial demonstration using the 2M and 70cm bands.>

I would suggest it simply shouldn't be done. No commercial use may be made on the ham bands, and your sole purpose IS commerce.
KE6PKJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 05:55:49 PM »

Not to get to picky here, but he didn't say the ham bands. 2 meters and 70 cm covers more than just the ham bands, after all they're not frequencies but wavelengths. I hear lots of military/federal traffic just below 144/420 Mhz.
N5UP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 07:52:34 PM »

You guys really crack me up.  This is sooooo typical of Internet forums.  Some guy working for a large company that has already done 99% of "x" asks a question about the final 1%, and everybody lines up to tell him it can't be done.

You don't think amateur radio should be used to prove concepts?  You don't think it should be used to try things that might ultimately end up in commercial or military use?

Then I suppose we shouldn't have created SSB, SSTV, packet radio, amateur satellites, EME, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.  Who the hell do you think invented most modern communications technologies?  Just stick to the question, but only if you actually have an answer, not if you think you might be able to theorize a negative answer to shoot people down.

Geeeeeze.  I might not be so pissed off if I hadn't seen this done a billion times on a thousand different forums over the last 20 years.

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 06:51:50 AM »

You guys really crack me up.  This is sooooo typical of Internet forums.  Some guy working for a large company that has already done 99% of "x" asks a question about the final 1%, and everybody lines up to tell him it can't be done.

You don't think amateur radio should be used to prove concepts?  You don't think it should be used to try things that might ultimately end up in commercial or military use?

Then I suppose we shouldn't have created SSB, SSTV, packet radio, amateur satellites, EME, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.  Who the hell do you think invented most modern communications technologies?  Just stick to the question, but only if you actually have an answer, not if you think you might be able to theorize a negative answer to shoot people down.

Geeeeeze.  I might not be so pissed off if I hadn't seen this done a billion times on a thousand different forums over the last 20 years.

Due diligence is making sure that the last 1% doesn't bite you in the end.

PLAIN AND SIMPLE - If this is being done under the auspices of a commercial enterprise, notwithstanding the assertion that it is only a 'proof of concept', IT IS NOT ALLOWED. 

Yes, it will be done a billion times on a thousand different forums over the next 20 years.  AND RIGHTLY SO!
KB1OCC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 07:59:04 AM »

Skipping the lectures above...

If you can do crossband repeating, I'm pretty sure there was once an HT capable of doing it.  I'll check to see if I can find the model.  Presumably this may fit your weight requirement.
KB1OCC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 08:10:50 AM »

Skipping the lectures above...

If you can do crossband repeating, I'm pretty sure there was once an HT capable of doing it.  I'll check to see if I can find the model.  Presumably this may fit your weight requirement.
KB1OCC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 08:15:22 AM »

Information on a balloon crossband repeater.

http://www.eoss.org/hardware/crossband/inside_crossband.htm
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 11:48:08 AM »

Oh great!  Now you've made all the circuitry details available to the ENEMY!  There goes the project.  ;o)

Terry, WØFM
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 09:30:52 PM »

The government (Air Force) is a user of the 70cm band already.  Remember the hub-bub about repeaters near the PAVE PAWS radar near Cape Cod,MA and Beale,CA.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: