Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tire Static  (Read 326 times)
K3ITG

Ignore
« on: May 21, 2007, 01:48:48 PM »

Hi everyone.  I was wondering if anyone has had a tire static problem.  I drive an '05 Freightliner Columbia and tire static is a real BIG problem for me on HF. S7-S9+10 on HF and as you can imagine it makes working HF almost impossible.  The problem is worse on concrete, less worse on pavement over concrete and almost gone on just paved roads.  The static goes away if I hit the brakes or ride on a wet road.  It is coming from the front wheels cause when I make the even the slightest turn like a curve in the road the noise level drops sometimes 3-5 S units.  Static straps that hang on the ground is one solution that I have heard but with the amount of miles I do everyday I would imagine that they wouldn't last very long and I would always be replacing them and that is probably costly, not only that I wouldn't know where to get them, or where or even how to mount them.  Any other suggestions would be great if anyone can help.  Thank you very much in advance. 73 de K3ITG Mark.
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 06:51:12 PM »

Check out K0bg.com as he has a section on OTR vehicles and static. If I recall he suggests a static drain made of aircraft cable or something of that ilk attached to the vehicle and about 1 inch suspended and dragging on the road. Never tried it but guess it works.

Dan
KO1D
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 04:24:58 PM »

They used to put an anti-static powder in the tires. I think it was a graphite material. I don't know if it is still available or not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: