Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Huge mobile antenna  (Read 617 times)
XY3LON4

Ignore
« on: May 21, 2007, 04:05:21 PM »

I was looking at the Telarana on page 55 in volume 1 of the antenna compendium and I was wondering; If a person were to make the central hub so that it were to hinge at the point of the two forward spreaders, the whole thing could be engineered to be collapsable right? If you look at the hub as if it were the symbol for the Japanese yen, then I am talking about the top of the "Y" ie: this part;"\/". If that were able to fold back on itself, and then the fiberglass pole sections broken down, then it could all fit inside a duffle bag and reasembled so that a person could mount it on an extendable pole on the back of his semi-truck right?
WT0A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 07:15:02 PM »

or try something like this:
http://www.kg4nbl.com/images/KG4NBL%20MOBILE/KG4NBL%20mobiles.htm
XY3LON4

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 02:17:37 PM »

So a vertical or a screwdriver is going to outperform a telerana?
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 07:59:50 AM »

A top quality, properly installed motorized (screwdriver) antenna will outperform virtually every other mobile antenna in existance.

You can always cobble up some monstrosity, such as the one you reference, but they simply aren't practical for day to day mobile operation.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
XY3LON4

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 09:50:04 AM »

I don't think you are getting what I am asking. I don't want the telerana as a MOBILE antenna, I want to make it so that it is portable (maybe that would have been a better choice of words). I want to configure it so that I could assemble it and use it when I am stopped.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 12:00:22 PM »

OK, I see where you are headed.

Having tried a lot of "portable" antennas over the years, personally, I still don't think it would be worth the effort, compared to a properly installed motorized antenna.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: