Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-8800 operation question  (Read 1040 times)
N8BBB

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2007, 06:33:50 PM »

I just installed my FT-8800. I was talking to a guy today thru the repeater. He said he did not get the start of the transmission because my radio put out a tone similar to the sound of a push button telephone. The tone lasted 1/2 to 1 second long.
I asked a friend about the tone. He said the radio comes from the factory with the tone turned on. He called the tone a tone burst. I looked thru the menus for tone burst and all of the bolded topic heading and cannot find tone burst.
How do I turn this off?
73-Bill
AI4WX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 07:48:43 PM »

on my 8900r, the tone burst is for hte 1750Hz tone and it activated by the keypad. its called tcall on my menu...not sure if yours is the same though.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 08:11:22 PM »

This is the Yaesu "feature" called Wires.  At least with my Yaesu HT, there is a button on the keypad dedicated to turning it on or off.  When on, it sends ~.25 second touchtone digit that you define in the settings menu.  Fortunately there is a way to re-assign that key to do something more useful, and now I don't have to listen to people tell me my "roger beep" is on again.  So look up Wires in your user manual and turn it off.  It will be accompanied by a little "atom" icon on the display.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
W7JER

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 10:27:24 PM »

No atom symbol on the display. The 8800 says "Int" on the active side. There a menu option, which I can't recall, to turn it off. You can also press and hold the left volume control to toggle it on/off.
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 10:04:56 AM »

"Int" = Internet (WIRES gimmi... um... feature) I'd bet.

Easy to turn on by mistake -- see the manual's index for details if needed. Their FT-60, uses an atom symbol, the FT-1802 may also, not sure about other Yaesu models.

Could be the 1750Hz European repeater access tone though.
KB1OCC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 01:37:00 PM »

This drove me nuts for a couple of weeks on my FT8800.

Push the button on the lower left to toggle on/off INT.  When off, the tone goes away.

I wish Yaesu would make this feature MORE DIFFICULT to get too (like everything else).  I also wish my buttons lit up at night....
N8BBB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 05:49:45 PM »

Thanks for the tip. It worked.
73-Bill Brown
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 02:24:36 PM »

Yea, I looked at my FT-1802, push the "oriting electrons atom symbol" button and it says "Int" on the display too. Push it again and it's gone. It seems  common for this to give owners of the newer new FM Yaesus fits!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: