The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Screwdriver/Receiver Hitch Application? Any Ideas?  (Read 891 times)
NZ4Z

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2007, 10:42:02 AM »

I have a new body style 2007 GMC Sierra pick-up, and want to use the receiver hitch to bring the mount for a screwdriver to the drivers side, so I can still drop the tail gate etc. I have a bed cover on, so using the bed is out. Please send any info/pics if you can help.

Thanks

73's

Steve Parker
NZ4Z
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 12:55:44 PM »

Go to my web site, look for the Photo Gallery, then click on Other Installs. there are at least 20 trailer hitch mounts shown. The best ones use an extension receiver welded to the hitch, which makes R&R the antenna easier.

One thing to keep in mind, the lower the mounting position, the higher the ground losses. Mounting one a stalk to place it higher actually makes things worse.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K4KWH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 01:18:07 PM »

Steve,

I sent you an email about your question. If you are needing a "slider" for the end of your receiver, I can get them or you can have someone fabricate one for you.
Advice on having the antenna low to the ground IS correct tho it is not as "bad" as it sounds IF you HAVE to mount low.  I can make the sliders with the antenna "perch" wherever you need it so that the mount will siip into the end of the receiver and have the antenna almost even with the bed if that's what you want. And, of course, you can save $$ by finding someone locally to make one from the picture I sent you
I recommend putting the antenna at the SIDE of the truck rather than out at the hitch itself, and if the ends of your hitch aren't "blind", you can slide it inside and keep the antenna well out of the way of the tailgate!

Jerry
K4KWH
www.qsl.net.k4kwh
RADIOGUYR2

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 06:02:19 PM »

Its too bad that they restricted WA6CDE from the web due to some idiot knuckle heads complaint about him that was unjustified.  The powers to be miffed him off and he left along with several others.

He designed and built (has the plans) and has made several for some of the ham club people out our way.   They are pretty simple from his demo at the meeting as well as I think he said they can be made for less than 20 bucks.  (as he said, stronger than a brick outhouse too.  Showing how you could stand on it and no damage)

He uses the trailer hitch reciever and one bolt to hold it in so it is solid and makes good contact as well as easy to install and remove.   It also has the swing back function to allow the tailgate to open and close without removing the mount.  

When he demo'd his, he used a ball lock pin to allow it to swing back and forth for quick and easy tailgate access.

I think he did say you had to do some cutting and welding on it though.  (used common materials)  As I recall he had a local mach shop build 'em for him.  They built about 15 or 20 at one time,  which came out to be the 20 buck figure for each.

You might try and contact him, if he will still talk to anyone from this web, and see if he will send you a copy of the plans to build your own.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: