Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got my Tarheel  (Read 1149 times)
KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 07:10:38 PM »

Also, if I mount the antenna close to the ground, what is going to be the hazard of RF radiation to my body?
N5DXL

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 09:14:08 PM »

Both the element 2 (tech) and element 3 (general) class
ARRL books cover this, much more in the element 3 book.
Seeing your a technician (unless you've upgraded) your
not going to be putting out the watt/power/RF to hurt
yourself or other persons. I know a ham that has a High/Q
mounted on his mirror, driver side and runs a amp. Not
my game plan but he does it.
As stated before I have my sidekick mounted on my right-
side mirror right above my air filters which I grounded
to the frame.
Seeing your a new ham please take sometime and read up
on mobile antennas, there's some good information out
there.
I really wish Alan K0BG would start a nice little side job
of mounting mobile antennas, but if he did that he'd never
get any rest. I know I would heading to Rosewell for his
help.

Tom - N5DXL
KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2007, 12:20:30 AM »

Well, I designed a bumper mount. I am going to have it fabricated at the next metal shop I come to. Here are links to the design. It will mount on the front bumper and I will mount the tarheel with the GQD from hi-q so I can remove it when i want to open the hood. It will place the bottom of the antenna about a foot from the pavement. It will be just about the same height as the trailer hitch of am F150 maybe a little higher. With this mount I will be able to use as long a whip as I need. Also, mounted on the front of the truck, I will be able to keep an eye on it.
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1493/bumpermountek2.th.png
KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2007, 11:56:16 PM »

One more question. If I mount it behind the sleeper close to the ground, will the improvement in gain outweigh the effects of the metal of the truck and trailer on the signal?
N5DXL

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2007, 04:16:19 AM »

You ask questons but never answer questons given to
you. I did a little hunt on the net and seen you've
been posting about using amps on 11 meters (CB).
Please tell me more....

Tom - N5DXL
KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2007, 10:16:43 AM »

Let's see if I have your question right. "I NEVER answer questions that are asked of me." That's a rather generalized statement isn't it? When you tracked me, did you also note the date that I posted those questions about 11 meter linears? I think if you check again, it was well before I got my license for ham, and I didn't post it but shortly after that I sold the amp and that too was way before I got my license. I am sure that if you check my rig now you will find that I comply to the letter with all FCC regulations. Also, if you dig just a little deeper you will find that i posted on another forum about opening up 11 meter for transmit and while actually doing it is illegal, asking about it is not. I asked the question because I didn't know what questions to ask to get answers to what i know now as the MARS modification. I am planning on joining MARS and until I do I will not modify my radio for that. Just thought you might want to know.
If you will kindly post ALL of the questions that I have NEVER answered I will be more than happy to answer them all.
Now, back to the topic at hand. If I mount the tarheel lower to the ground so that I get a proper ground plane image but it is behind my sleeper, will increase in gain outweigh the loss I will experience due to the metal in the truck?
N5DXL

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2007, 06:26:00 PM »

If you send me an email I'll be happy to email you
some photo's I've taken of screwdrivers mounted on
big rigs.
If it was me I do believe I'd try and mount it on
the side of the sleeper right above the fuel tank.
You cna email me at my call at yahoo.

Tom
KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2007, 07:57:05 PM »

I just checked my tarheel on the MFJ257 and on all frequencies the VSWR is no higher than 1.5:1, the resistance is at 50 or lower and the reactance is at around 8 or lower. I can pick up stations on an average night from Florida to California with very little static. I think I will keep it like it is. I don't know if I should be able to pick up overseas stations or not. I plan on making a telerana that breaks down for storage and transport for serious DXing.  
KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2007, 07:22:12 PM »

Well, I don't think I have a whole lot to worry about. I was on 14.244 and NA9N was operating out of J79RM out of Dominica in the West Indies and was having a DX party and he had them stacked up like an air traffic controller at O'Hara. I got a 5/8 report. I am a happy camper now. 2400 miles is considered DX right? The only thing I am unhappy with is that the tarheel is straight up vertical. I am going to tilt it forward just a few degrees to get it away from the metal column of my truck.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: