Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: atas-120 tune problem  (Read 613 times)
AE2B

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2004, 11:22:56 PM »

Just wondering if anybody out there running a 100-D and an ATAS -120 ant. has had any tuning problems ? I have an intermittant tuning problem in retrospec to the antenna not moving at all up or down when the tune button is pushed on the 100-D. I do get the antenna movement icon bars moving only . I have a hard ground for the pipe which is my mount and that it is mounted to a bolt on my bumper on my new truck which goes to my frame with no rust . The antenna is mounted on top of the pipe which is almost 4 ft high and that puts me over roof line . Also I have a ground from the base of the atas 120 as well. It had worked flawlessly for 1 year and all of a suddon I developed these tuning problems . The radio had numerious grounds as well . any help would be appreciated thankyou .
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 11:52:31 PM »

It is rather hard to define what is and isn't a good grondplane. Mounng an antenna atop a mast irrespective of what the mast is attached to, is not! Adding insult, the ATAS 120 ( or ATAS100 ) is not a very efficient antenna to start with. Add a few ohms of groundloss to an already lossy antenna and what you end up with amounts to not much more than a dummy load on a stick.

In short, without a lot more information about your specific installation, any answer you get is speculation at best.

Alan, KØBG

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 12:21:56 AM »

You can easily check the mechanics of the antenna off of the vehicle using an adjustable supply.  Put +12VDC from the center coax pin to ground to make the antenna lengthen, put +8V on it to make it retract.  Perhaps something hit it and bent something, or moisture inside has corroded parts and it bound up.  If it works OK on the bench you need to test your radio and coax.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
WX9DX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 01:23:41 PM »

Push your PTT button on the microphone, keep it down and at the same time push the up or down button on the radio, in the direction you want the antenna to tune. then let up on the ptt. Now push the tune button! The antenna will tune in that direction!

Yeah we all have had that problem! Some might not admit it but this antenna sucks big time! It's $300 of junk as far as an antenna goes.

Go buy a Predator for HF and a Jetstream for UHF/VHf!

I've got athe ATAS120 on the Wife's SUV and it's a pee willie antenna at best! On all bands.

Your best bet as for the tuning problem is to run as many ground straps " Braid" from the mount to the vehical body and frame as you can. I did this and it did help. But! Still it's like using just the top of a hustler antenna by itself on each band. Pretty poor choice really.

Again, this antenna is controled by the up and down buttons while the ptt is being held down, then this tells the tune CKT which way to travel.

I can't express how bad a choice this antenna was other than to say " It Sucks". LOL:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: