Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu ATAS-100 question  (Read 431 times)
WA9PIE

Ignore
« on: July 24, 2003, 08:45:40 PM »

I own an ATAS-100.  I've never tried it on VHF/UHF, so here's my question.

Obviously you have to tune the antenna for HF (lenghten and/or shorten the antenna with a tuner).  But...

Is the process the same for VHF/UHF?  That is, do I need to tune the antenna for 2m and 440Mhz - just as you do with the HF tuning?

Mike, WA9PIE
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2003, 09:42:21 AM »

I hadn't tried V/U with it either, as I use a separate dual band 2m/440 antenna.  I run my ATAS100 with a 706, so only connect it to the HF/6 port.  Anyway, upon reading your post I hooked it up to my MFJ259 to test the 2M response of the ATAS.  It didn't matter if the coil was fully extended or retracted, it didn't work either way!  Not sure if it's due to the particulars of my setup, or it just plain doesn't work.  Couldn't test UHF, as the '259 stops at 170MHz.  I was going to guess that the ATAS represented a quarter wave on 2M and a 3/4 wave on 440, but not seeing any useable resonance at 2M I'm not sure it would be any better at 440.  Now I'm glad I didn't bother getting a diplexer for the 706 and went with a separate 2M/440 antenna.  If the problem is caused by the way I mounted it, it shows that the ATAS is very ground plane sensitive and that should be tested if V/U operation with this antenna is important to you.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
k5lxp@arrl.net
WX9DX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 01:53:29 PM »

It's a Pee Willie antenna on V/Uhf. Use a Jetstream or a great antenna like a Diamond on those bands. I have the ATAS120 on the Wife's SUV and it is not near as good as the Jetstream on the V/Uhf bands! Oh and I had it way up in the mountains of Tenn at Klingmans Dome. It would work some there lol but switching to the Jetstream I could talk on simplex 185 miles but with the ATAS120 just 45miles on 146.52 simplex. This is from the highest point in Tenn on Field Day.

Also on HF it was poor on 40 meters till I put 22 feet of wire and an end insulator on it. Then I could get contacts. But be honest. it's just a Hustler coil without the mast! A very poor choice for an antenna!

I use the Predator " HF Screwdriver" on my truck and a big Diamond V/Uhf on top the cab. That's the bomb BTW.

Again the ATAS on the Wife's vehical I thought would be a good choice for her since she has just gotten her General ticket. But it's way to pee willie of an antenna even for her!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: