Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu VX-7 Broken Power Button  (Read 674 times)
AB3MT

Ignore
« on: July 02, 2007, 06:48:37 AM »

I just purchased a brand new VX-7 and it has a malfunctioning power button. Anybody else ever encounter this? The button is very hard to push and maybe out of pushing it 50 times it might work 5 times. I know there is a couple second delay till it powers up, but that is not the case. I shipped the radio back and I'm waiting on a replacement. I purchased the radio through www.hamcity.com I thought there prices were very good for what I got. Kinda a bummer that I had to pay another $18 to ship it back. From what I read though all the major Ham dealers make you pay to return defective equipment. I didn't know this till I had to return something and after a little on-line research it looks that way industry wide.

VX-7RB
A - Amateur Transceiver Handheld 50/144/440 SMA
 1 $296.00  

ADMS-1G USB
Software, Cable Serial & USB Adapter
 1 $47.00  

CD-15A
Charger Rapid-Rate
 1 $29.95  

CMP460A
Microphone Speaker Handheld  
 1 $49.95  

E-DC-5B
Adapter Cigar-Lighter  
 1 $23.95  

MM270B
Antenna Magnet Mount 144/440
 1 $19.95  

SMA-29
Adapter
 1 $4.95  

VC-27
EarBud Lapel Mic.
 1 $28.95  

Order Total    

Merchandise Total:  $500.70      

Shipping:  $17.15      
   Shipments Total:  $517.85      

Grand Total:  $517.85

Joel

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 08:22:28 AM »

Depends on the dealer, but if it is dead out of the box, it's their nickel as far as I'm concerned.

While I do understand that some folks just can't go to a local dealer and play with the toys, your experience is one very good reason to do so.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

AB3MT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 09:58:49 AM »

I would have loved to go to a local dealer if I had one anywhere close but as far as I know the only that is near me is a state away and a 3 hour drive. I thought it would be there nickel too till I called about my problem and read the fine print. Then I checked out AES, HRO and Universal return policy's for defective products, they all had the same fine print about defective returns. If it's broke you pay to ship it back. Glad the personal computer industry doesn't see it that way.

Joel
AE1Y

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 07:35:56 PM »

I find hamcity.com to be a great company. I've done a lot of business with them and have had no problem. There prices are the best anywhere. I can see why they can't afford to ship it back to them. Maybe you would have more luck with the manufacturer? Some gear can only be returned to the maker and not the the place of purchase. Give Yaesu a call. I have a VX-7 and I find the power button to be very temperamental. I sometimes have to hold it down for a good 7 or 8 seconds before any thing happens and sometimes nothing does. I often have to push it several times. There are many other functions of the VX-7 that act the same way. I think its just a quirky radio. Some features I have to try several times before I can get them to work. I just write these things off as quirks. For the price I paid through Juans which was 40 bucks less than anywhere else I don't worry about a few quirks. The VX-7 is a great radio be it a little stubborn.
AB3MT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 07:39:51 PM »

Yaesu has the same policy.
K6TPL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 07:57:09 AM »

I have a VX-5 with the same problem! Other than that button which has to be pushed a number of times to get it to turn on it is a  great radio! And sad to say I have dropped it a number of times. Seems they could do something to fix tht problem!!! I've found if I can't turn it on it really doesn't matter how well it works!
AB3MT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 05:18:14 PM »

I just got my ups shipping notice. I shipped the radio back to them with 2 day rush shipping on 6/27 and the UPS shipping says I should receive the replacement radio on 7/10.
AB3MT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 10:22:46 AM »

I got my replacement yesterday. Seems like Ham City just replaced the radio and sent back all the accessories that were in the original box I sent back to them. Oh well it was not the accessories (charger, antenna, belt clip etc.) that were the issue, but you got to wonder why they did that. I'm glad I sent the radio back this power button works great. Some said maybe thats the way the power button works well this one works like it should. I checked the serial numbers it is a different radio. Now that I had a chance to use this radio it's great a little complicated but that makes it fun.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: