Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The olde Hustler trick..  (Read 414 times)
N1ESE

Ignore
« on: July 22, 2007, 07:40:05 PM »

One of the things I've always done with Hustlers on 20M is to use a 15M resonator with a long whip to increase efficiency and bandwidth.  However, I am wondering if this same trick also works on other bands such as 40 by using a 30M coil and a longer whip?  I'd really like to increase the bandwidth on 40.

Thanks

- JT
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 05:11:45 AM »

Probably, but then I don't know what your height limit is. In any case, it will be much longer than your current 15M coils/20 meter operation.

The bandwidth comes almost entirely from the added length. There is another way to accomplish additional bandwidth, and that is by matching the antenna with a shorted stub. The stub and the antenna have opposite reactance changes as the frequency is changed. Properly done, you can about double the effective bandwidth. The drawback is, the you have to have a stub for each band.

The other alternative, is to use a properly matched, remotely tuned antenna like a HiQ or High Sierra. You'll be able to operate the entire band, even on 80 meters. What's more, you'll have better efficiency than your aforementioned antenna.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N1ESE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 08:12:57 AM »

Yeah, I know.  I have been wanting to buy an Hi-Q for some time now and I may actually bite the bullet and do it when they re-open for business next month.  I will likely be going with a 4/160.

However, the only place I can mount it on my small hatchback is a trailer hitch mount and we all know this is less than ideal.  I do have a ball mount installed but no way to add support to it that like do on your car.  But I guess an Hi-Q on the hitch is better than no Hi-Q.

- JT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: