Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KEYLESS IGNITIONS Issues w/Toyotas, Lexus, etc.???  (Read 612 times)
AI4R

Ignore
« on: July 07, 2007, 05:27:04 AM »

I'd like to equip my 2005 Toyota Avalon (that has a Keyless Ignition system) with a Kenwood TS-480HX 200 watt HF-6M model and a screwdriver antenna mounted to the back trailer hitch. The Toyota keyless ignition system operates between 312-315 Mhz.  Has anyone had experiences good or bad operating mobile with these keyless igntions used in Toyota and or Lexus models?  The Toyota manual says the car engine could shut down with RF overload.  I'm thinking that a low pass filter should be used to avoid this?  Any help would be appreciated.  THANKS, STEVE Ai4R  
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 08:11:06 AM »

The keyless units on all vehicles, regardless of make, are all digitally encoded. I have never heard of any RFI in or out of a keyless system.

Occasionally, if you're close to another vehicle, one of the buttons on your fob, might have a different effect on another vehicle's system. However, most codes are now 64 or 128 bits deep, and even this issue is rare.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 09:10:40 AM »

There should be no problems, for the reasons Alan states.  Those 300MHz keyfob controllers are AM digital and quite robust actually, considering how simple they are in the receiver department, that is because of the digital mode, they sit there and recieve all sorts of noise but only respond to the one digital code they are programmed to match.  

There might be a swamping situation in which you may not be able to communicate with the RF controller while transmitting on your rig, but I doubt that, too.  

Of course, each situation may be unique do to mounting, connection and other parameters, which means that the bottom line is that you won't really know unless and until you install the rig and see what happens.  Odds are good that nothing will happen as far as the 300MHz RC goes, though.  Does not mean you might not have other RF issues in today's electronics-packed automotive environment, though.  All we can do is hook things up and cross bridges only if we come to them, as it were.  

Luck, and 73

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 09:59:35 AM »

> I have never heard of any RFI in or out of a keyless system.

Was just involved in an RFI case that was caused by a 300MHz garage door opener receiver.  It was generating a spurious output and rendering the keyless entry of any vehicle in the vicinity completely inoperative.  Never say never...  :-)

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KB1HTW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 01:48:52 PM »

Mark,

Are you positive it was a garage door opener? Could have been coming from nearby Kirtland AFB. You know those DoD-types...
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 01:33:55 PM »

No, it was DF'd to a nearby home, and the FCC issued a citation to the owner.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: