Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Auto Tuner for Mobile usage  (Read 1366 times)
2E0BSS

Ignore
« on: July 02, 2007, 02:46:33 PM »

I'm about to buy my first auto tuner from LDG, I'm thinking about the Z11Pro. According the the tech specs from LDG it says the following:

"Not for use with FT-857(D) or FT-897(D) if you plan to use VHF or UHF. These two radios transmit a small amount of VHF/UHF RF energy out of the HF port and will fool the tuner into tuning. Use the AT-100Pro in this case" ©LDG

I don't want the AT100Pro due to it's size. How I'm reading the above is if I don't want to use VHF/UHF when the tuner is connected in linethe Z11Pro will fit my bill.

Can someone let me know if they've used the Z11Pro and is it any good another one in my specs is the Z100 although it won't run automatic like the Z11Pro

Charlotte 2E0BSS
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 04:32:56 PM »

If you are attempting to tune a 9-foot whip on multiple bands I'd recommend an SG-237 tuner. The SGC tuners have a much wider impedance matching range BUT they must be mounted very close (inches) to the base of the whip to be effective in this application.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 05:27:17 AM »

I agree. Before you buy any auto coupler, go to my web site and read the Auto Couplers article.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 09:50:42 PM »

the problem is the radio puts out a small amount of rf on uhf/vhf when transmitting on hf and the tuner keeps truing to tune it. use a 2m 440 antenna seperately, or use an atas for 440 to 40 meters coverage with no tuner necessary.  look into the ft857d group on yahoo.
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 02:34:57 PM »

I use a LDG100 with my ic706 and have no problems with it. I run the 2 meter separately to a different antenna from the HF antenna too.
Frank
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 12:45:06 AM »

I have a Z-11 Pro at the base of a 16' aluminum pole sticking out from the balcony, with my 12-wide balcony railing as a counterpoise.

The Z-11 Pro finds a match on 40m, but _will not_ match on 80m.

One way to get around the "false tuning" problem with the Z-11 Pro would be to turn off the DC power to it when you ran VHF/UHF.  Without DC power, it won't try to tune.

But don't try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  If you'll be tuning short antennas, you'll be happier with one of the SGC tuners designed to do that.

Charles
2E0BSS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 02:02:22 PM »

Ok all the feed back is greatly appreciated. Been to your site too and earthed my car (That was fun)only place I can't put a strap is the exhaust unless I get the mig out (now that worries the neighbours)

I still have  a question though the Z100 will it completely autotune? ie when I'm transmitting will the tuner tune if it detects a high SWR? like the Z11PRo. Considered the SGC ATU only issue is I want to go portable/mobile/base with it, my old MFJ  Versa tuner has issues on 80m at home (quite like the idea of fishing then throwing a random wire up a tree then talking to Russia!!! Still can't get the USA/Canada just Russia/Italy/Finland/Germany/Holland/Bosnia/Slovakia/Lithunia/Prague/Czech rep/ (Can you see a pattern here? If you can please advise me my half G5RV goes North to south.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: