Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hustler QD-2 -- not impressed  (Read 2301 times)
PHILIP_EX_KC7FWB

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2007, 12:53:34 PM »

Having recently purchased a Lil' Tarheel 2 antenna, I was looking for a way to mount/unmount which was a bit easier than screwing it on and off the base.

I bought a Hustler QD-2 quick disconnect, and just fitted it.

I think it will be coming off again in the next few minutes. From the description I had read of this, I expected (much) better.

When I mount the antenna, it wobbles on the mount, and actually rattles. its not going to come off, but I have serious doubts about the integrity of the electrical connection and the long-term effects on my antenna of a mount that wobbles/rattles that much.

And yes, is is latched (push down and twist), its just that the latching is MUCH less solid than I expected.

Anyone have any recommendations for a REAL quick disconnect???
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 01:19:13 PM »

Seriously.

The QD-2 is marketed in a lot of places as a "CB antenna mount".  As in singleband fiberglass stick.  

Yeah, I know, you can find a lot of hams talking about using the QD-2 with their screwdriver on the web, hey, it is the internet.  

With any screwdriver type antenna, whether compact or no, you are dealing with a substantial amount of mass and a moment angle that requires some substantial support.  

Have you considered that Tarheel makes the matching Tarheel MT-1Q quick disconnect mount?  

Or any of the other mounts designed specifically for screwdriver antennas, for that matter.  websearch should bring them up.  

Costs a bit more money to do it up right.  

PHILIP_EX_KC7FWB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 01:28:33 PM »

Hmmm.. No MT-1Q on the Tarheel website.

A Google search finds three sites mentioning it, one in the UK (which doens't seem to sell it, and two people mention using it.

Seems a bit hard to find ....
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 02:07:47 PM »

Personally, quick disconnects and an antenna the size of your are not a good match. There's too much mass in the antenna, even as small as it is.

QDs are made for whips.

I thought Tarheel has a mount that allowes easy removal? High Sierra mounts are all that way. I can take my HS off in 30 seconds with a screwdriver to loosen the securing clamp and then lift straight off.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland - soon to be Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
PHILIP_EX_KC7FWB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 03:25:03 PM »

The Tarheel antenna has a 3/8 stud.

It not  *huge* deal to unscrew it. The biggest problem is the motor/sensor cable which sticks downwards out of the bottom of the antenna, so it takes some patience to keep that from catching on the mount for each turn as you fit/remove the antenna.

However, it looks as though that is what I am going to do.

The Hi-Sierra mounts look ok -- but really a little too chunky for the little Tarheel.

I called WB0W Inc. (the distributor of the antenna) and he said most people are using the QD-2 ... hmmm ....
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 04:49:06 PM »

Well, maybe not.

HiQ makes a heavy-duty quick disconnect mount that you can order in both aluminum and stainless steel. The SS one, is pretty darn stout. If you mount the bottom securely, it will easily hold their 5160RT at 100 mph+!

Breedlove Machining also makes a decent QD, albeit for lessor stresses. Certainly it will suffice for any whip QD, or any light (Hustler etc.) antenna. It's sort of like the line from Dirty Harry; "a man has to know his limitations".

One of the failure points is the stud you use. Or should I say the material the stud is made out of. Most antenna companies ship SS studs, which are barely stronger than nominal steel one. Their advantage is they supposedly don't rust. Well.... they do because they are made from an inferior grade of SS. Here's a better idea.

You can buy Grade 8 or 9 bolts from Ace Hardware, or from any Cat dealer. The standard 3/8x24 isn't hard to find in a variety of lengths. If you search around, you can find bolts with about 2 inches of thread. You can use a Dremel tool to cut off the threaded portion (forget using a hacksaw!). You can dress the cut with a grinder or a good bastard file.

If you manage to stress one enough to pull in two, what ever the mount was attached to will be gone johnson! Why? Some 180K worth of tensile is at play.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 10:06:27 PM »

The dirty little secret about Stainless Steel is that it will rust, just takes longer.  

Grade may not have a thing to do with that, either.  

Clean it every so often with a rust preventative (that's not a lubricant!) may help prevent rust, SS is hard stuff, so any rust will likely be surface and cleans up well with wire brush wheel, etc.  

I found out that polishing SS can do a lot to prevent surface rust out in the elements, likely because polishing removes surface crannies where H20 can just sit and do its thing as it evaporates.  But polishing SS takes time and patience.  

How's that for off-topic?

I bought an MT-1Q mount new in packaging at a hamfest: had no idea it came all the way from the UK and was not all that available here, sorry for the mislead.  

On the other hand, I may finally have a L@@K Rare! for the online auction one day.  

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 08:53:29 AM »

I think that the spring inside the QD-2 is not stainless. I never have a problem with the outside rusting but after several years I see signs of rust running down from inside and the connection can become intermittent. I wash it out with a good spray of WD40, a bunch of rust runs out, and it is good for another year.

There is some play between the pieces of the QD-2 but as long as you keep it clean, the electrical contact is good. It was never designed to hold a large antenna however. I don't know how you could make a quick disconnect that would have zero play and still be "quick".

I find the QD-2 is head and shoulders above the less expensive devices sold by Hamstick and others.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 02:10:03 PM »

Not really trying to push HS stuff, but to solve your problem ...

Jim White DOES sell a very heavy duty quick release - it's about $30. You should be able to take a look at it on his web site.

Lon - W3LK

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 02:17:53 PM »

Lon, a URL please?  I need a quick-disconnect for a Little Tarheel II.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 05:16:08 PM »

http://www.hamcq.com/index.php

I'm not sure but I think that quick disconnect is designed for the whip and not to support the whole screwdriver antenna (the model it replaced clearly was). It looks to me like the HS mounts provide consideerable additional support beyond the mounting screw.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 06:35:17 PM »

Dennis, et al

www.hamcq.com/index.php

Lon - W3LK

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 06:38:20 PM »

<< I'm not sure but I think that quick disconnect is designed for the whip and not to support the whole screwdriver antenna (the model it replaced clearly was). It looks to me like the HS mounts provide consideerable additional support beyond the mounting screw. >>

You are correct, but their QD (I have two of them) are the biggest I have seen. It MIGHT work, but I, personally, wouldn't do it, even with the pint-sized antennas.

Lon - W3LK

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 05:21:13 AM »

I agree, they are much more substantial than the QD-2 and it shouldn't have any play between the pieces. I have the older version I was going to use with an SGC whip. It doesn't have the ring so you have to make multiple turns of the antenna to unscrew the pieces and I ultimately decided to use the QD-2 because it was quicker and locked into position.

Everything has trade-offs :-)
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 09:26:50 AM »

>>by AA4PB on June 22, 2007  

"Everything has trade-offs :-)" <<

Amen.  

This is to me the most important concept when undertaking any design of anything.  

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: