Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-706MkIIg vs FT-857D price differential  (Read 1881 times)
AE6RF

Ignore
« on: February 23, 2007, 03:24:21 PM »

Greetings,

Would somebody please explain why the Icom IC-706MkIIg is selling for $900-1000 while the FT-857D is selling for about $700?

Am I missing something here?

73 de Donald
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 05:38:06 AM »

They're made by two different companies. There are some subtle differences, and to my mind the biggest one is the display. I have owned both radios, and prefer the Icom.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 09:17:23 AM »

There are a couple of marketing rules that can be used but often are in conflict with each other...

(1)  If you are a seller, you price what the market will bear.

(2)  If you are a buyer, you generally get what you pay for (not always, just generally).

If you apply these rules and analyze the vendors and their offering and study the features of each, you are still faced with a decision.

As for me, if I were buying today, I would buy the IC-7000.  Why pay less when you can pay more.  You know, you can usually always pay less but you can't usually always pay more.
KC2MMI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 04:08:24 PM »

Donald, they used to sell (2? years ago) for about the same price. Then Icom bumped the 706 way up without explanation and soon afterward introduced the 7000.

So there are a couple of good guesses based on conventional marketing. One, that Icom knows their radio is way more popular and they decided to command a price for what it seen as a better (more valuable) radio than the nearest competitor.

Two, that if the price difference between the 706 and 7000 got cut in half, more folks would just buy up to the new radio. Or at least think the new radio wasn't so much more expensive, in comparison.

And, perhaps someone at Icom figured out that the "new" power finals board needed to be sold at a higher price, apparently the original transistors were long discontinued and the new board makes repairing the old radios very expensive. Maybe the new finals were more expensive and Icom had been silently absorbing the expense. (Anyone know the price comparison on those finals? From the maker?)

Bottom line is that Icom wanted or needed more money so they're charging for it. And the Yaesu FT-857 seems to be more popular as a result of it.<G>
VE7REN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 04:21:41 AM »

i own both these rigs,and first went for the 857d cause the price. later bought a used 706mk2g and did a/b comparisons. both work great,but the look,feel,build quality of the icom is much more superior to me. the recieve i find quite better on the 706 as well. i prefer a few features better on the 857d,but all in all would pay the extra for the mk2g.
KB3MMX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 01:29:49 PM »

Operate them both, you will see the difference!!
 The Yaesu has cheap little buttons and a extremely burdensome menu system not to be taken lightly in a mobile.....not to mentiona calculator watch sized cheapo little screen!!
 I guess you get what you pay for!!
 ....can you tell I'm not a ft-817 or ft-857 fan?

--Chuck----KB3MMX

K6HWH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 01:39:25 PM »

I compared all three and went with the FT-857.  I wanted something as small as possible, running as efficiently as possible, for possible portable use.  The 857 ran noticeably cooler, so figured that, in addition to being less likely to melt, it was probably more efficient in its use of juice.
K4FX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 06:08:17 AM »

I have had both and I prefer the 857, other than the larger display, that's about the only thing "better" I saw on the 706 and it has nothing to do making the QSO.

The main reason is the DSP on the Yaesu (at least on my 2 rigs) works WAY better than the Icom, you could hardly tell it was there on the 706, and on the 857D it's quite effective.

I also like other little convenience features like the separate mic gains for bands and modes, and separate power levels from HF, VHF and UHF.

Both are decent but I can't justify the extra money for the 706.

But then again if we all thought alike the world wouldn't be a very interesting place would it?

K4FX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: