The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Engine Noise ??? How do I resolve ???  (Read 927 times)
NZ4Z

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2007, 05:32:00 PM »

I may have isolated my last post re: engine noise by starting with the IC-7000..... I would guess it's not the rig, but I have bad engine noise and poppin & cracklin on the HF bands, but the 2M band is pretty good. Any help is appreciated.

Steve Parker
NZ4Z
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 06:43:31 PM »

www.k0bg.com

Read the section on reducing engine noise.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N0XMZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 09:05:05 AM »

My Honda Civic generates TERRIBLE ignition noise - even in the 2m & 70cm bands - even in FM! I gave the car new quality plugs & plug wires. I put ferrite chokes at the plugs and distributor (mix 43). Still there, still just as loud. Someday I may buy a bunch of chokes and install them on the entire lengths of wires and see if that helps....

Some people recommend shielding the plug wires but I don't think this is a good idea as you will end up with what are very long home-brew capacitors with a voltage high enough to possibly break down the insulation on the wires.

Meanwhile, the noise blanker works wonders for SSB operation on my '706.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 12:01:11 PM »

If you start out with new, good-quality ignition wire (the factory OEM stuff is good enough), and cover it with braid or 1181 copper tape, you'll end up with less, not more, arcing due to insulation brake down.

In the Photo Gallery of my web page (Other Installs) are several hi-res photos of how others have insulated their ignition wires.

The fact remains, some specific vehicles are just noisier than otherwise identical ones. If I knew why, I'd be rich!

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 05:59:53 AM »

There are just too many possibilities to list, but the key is to go about finding the noise in a methodical way.  For example, with the vehicle off, the rig on and tuned to the bands where you hear the noise, turn the key to on--not start, just on.  If you hear noise then, you may be fairly certain the noise is probably a computer, the fuel system, in short anything that is operating without the engine running.  That may well eliminate the alternator, ignition and any 'engine running' noise producers.  

Modern cars have so many parts that are noisemakers it is just about impossible to get rid of all the noise.  The more conveniences and luxury extras, the more noise.  The problem with finding that noise is that parts manufacturing is not an exacting process, not by a long shot.  If you look at it from the viewpoint of noise generation, identical parts look identical, but are not.

One part may produce little or no noise while a part manufactured on the same line just before or after the noiseless part produces S9 levels of noise.  So, some vehicles are noisier than otherwise identical vehicles because of the differences in those parts, and finding the noise producing part can be a long step by step process.

Something I'm surprized hasn't been mentioned is the importance of bonding the various parts of the vehicle together.  Bonding the doors, hood, trunk, front fenders, even the exhaust system to the car shell can eliminate a lot of what at first glance may seem to be engine noise.

It may take weeks to isolate and cure the noise sources so you can enjoy the hobby--but in the end, you'll be happy you took that time.  Good luck and 73.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 07:29:17 PM »

K1CJS wrote a fine synopsis there, pay attention to that man behind the curtain.  

!
W8IMO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 02:36:44 PM »

If you have access to a collection of QST check the December issues since they have an annual index.  

One issue a few years back had an article about keeping RF OUT of the electronics in today's cars.  The techniques worked keeping noise out of my radio....

Then too, check with the manufacturer of your car for info that they may have available.  Ford, GM, and Chrysler used to go to Dayton with displays and brochures to help with this.

73,\
Bob W8IMO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: