Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 706MKIIG or Yaesu 857d?  (Read 412 times)
KE5PUU

Ignore
« on: August 16, 2007, 08:27:53 PM »

I'm about to get one of those "all-in-one" mobile units and am not sure which one to get. Some things that are important to me are user friendliness-more buttons and less digging into menus. SWR meter-do either have one built in? Matching auto tuner-I may get one in the future and does one tuner have advantages over the other? Do either of them have dual receive? How many antenna connectors does each one have? Can you get an optional mic that has the DTMF keypad for them? Do both have CTCSS tones for repeater use? Do they have DSP?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 05:44:16 AM »

Got to my web site, and look under Miniature Radios. Most of what you ask is there.

The Yaesu is a little harder to use, as the display is smaller. The DSP in the Icom is slightly better. Neither do TT without the optional microphone. Both have built in SWR bridges, and both aren't very accurate. Neither one has dual receive, although both have two VFOs.

If you don't need the VHF stuff, you might want to look at the TS480 if you have the room for the larger remote head. The 200 watt version means you won't have to purchase an amplifier.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KE5PUU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 03:18:11 AM »

I did more research on the two and got the Yaesu-mainly because it's $250 less. Even though it has a smaller display, I love it!
K6IHC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 12:28:59 AM »

Glad to see you're pleased with your FT-857.  I bought one (with free add-on DSP) in late 2003.  Couldn't pass up the Yaesu rebate and Gigaparts price break (=$590 price).  I've mainly used it on 6m and 20m SSB, both fixed station and mobile, but it's seen a fair bit of 2m & 440 FM use, too.
I really like it for the size and price range.  I'd like to have a dedicated home station HF/6m radio, but for now, the 857 does a decent job for my needs.
The MH-59 remote control mike was a later add-on for me, and I wish I'd done it sooner!  I also like the RT Systems ADMS programming software for managing the memory channels.
BTW, the Yahoo! Group: FT-857 is really great.  It has over 4300 members and tons of info on the 857.
N9RD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 10:34:52 PM »

I bought my 857d about 3 years ago and love it. I never take it out of the van and use an ATAS120 as antenna. I only had the chance to use the Icom 706 in Germany one time and didn't like it because 40m was full of intermod from BC so I got the Yaesu.
Shop around and compare. Some dealers sell the radio cheap and make up on the extras.
                     Jurgen
KB3MMX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 01:38:36 PM »

If it's HF through 6 Meters, I ttally Agree with Allen.

The TS-480 is a GREAT rig for mobileers, easy to see(nice size screen), easy to use(no complicated manus and easy to use buttons) and lots of features!

Glad you like the 857 though! I didn't care for the tiny screen size, buttons or menu system.

Happy mobile'ing!!
KE5PUU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 01:42:07 AM »

Yes the 857 has a complicated menu system, but I'm learning. Just always have the owner's manual within arm's reach!!
N3JQD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 06:48:39 PM »

I have two Icom 706MKIIG's.  I bought one for home & oddly enough, one for my work QTH.  ( I have lots of space at work for antennas. )  Both were 'used' radios and I never had any problems.  One is modified and it has the extended Xmit range, including 60M, where I'm most active.  I generally run over 100W on 80M also.  I'm using more VHF/UHF at home.  I just think the Icom's are built better.  If you do get one, check the various websites for modifications.  My only wish is that they came with better mics.  So, I'm hunting for a Heil.  Good luck on the decision. 73s Bob N3JQD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: