Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile feedline routing  (Read 408 times)
KA8SYX

Ignore
« on: August 19, 2007, 09:46:23 PM »

Hi, Everyone -- I am taking another stab at putting a rig in my work car and have a question or several about running coax.  The work car is a 2000 Ford Focus sedan, long paid for (so holes for a mount aren't a problem; I'll drive this car until it falls apart,) but there are some considerations here that give me pause before I start cutting.  The rig is a dual bander, IC-821H, all mode rig and the antenna's going to be one of Phil, KU4AB's new antennas, the one that is replacing the E-Factor dual band squalo-type.  The question is about what most ops do about the coax if they install their VHF/UHF SSB mobile antennas of a permanent mount -- do I want to put a feedthrough in the car body near the mount, as I plan to install the antenna on a 48" section of Hustler mobile mast?  Do I risk damaging my coax (especially if it's high quality/low loss stuff like 9913, LMR400 or similar) by passing it under the trunk lid between the gaskets?  As far as the other concerns regarding mobile installations, my car is a real noisemaker, electrically-speaking.  I had several hundred dollars worth of work and maintenance performed a few months ago, including new plugs and good wires, but I still hear a lot of junk on the car radio's AM band.  It's even worse when I use any of the lighting (turn signals, emergency flashers, headlamps, running lamps, etc.) or the windshield wipers/washer pump.  Can anyone suggest what kind of problem I need to look for?  Do symptoms like this usually trace back to a single source?

Thanks very much, all advice, suggestions, comments welcome.  73, Ray KA8SYX, Jacksonville, FL
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 05:44:37 AM »

A lot to answer. Most of what you want to know is on my web site. If it isn't, send me an e-mail.

As for routing the coax, I would not recommend running it under or through any door or trunk seal. One location is close to the license plate, where a grommet won't show.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 06:24:53 AM »

Sometimes you'll find drain plugs thru the floor pan under the seat. If so, you can bring the coax under the car and thru the rubber drain plug. Be sure to seal it against water leakage with coax seal or plumber's putty.

W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 11:04:20 AM »

Also, 9913 or LMR400 is probably overkill for your mobile installation.  Plus you will find that size coax unnecessarily difficult to route no matter how you do it.  I'd use a good quality RG-58 or RG-8X maximum.  What are we looking at here, perhaps a 17 foot run of coax?  

I think you'll be happier with the ease of installation than you would with any fraction of a DB you picked up by going with lower loss coax.

Just my two cents.

Good luck with the project!

Terry, WØFM
KE5PUU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 02:57:04 PM »

I would also use smaller coax as the above post suggested. The only time I use the big fat stuff is for base station applications for freqs above 6m.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: