Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any reason NOT to buy an IC-7000?  (Read 883 times)
N6QL

Ignore
« on: September 09, 2007, 09:51:41 PM »

Seems like more than a few of these for sale these days plus price drop. Before you Yaesu and 706 fans jump in I've already got a 706mkIIg, FT-857 and an FT-897 so those are not an option. Are there are credible rumors of a "MkII" coming soon?

With 22 amps at full power and nearly 2 amps on receive I'm thinking a mkII will appear soon if only to make the thing more energy efficient for mobile operations.

Thoughts?

Ron
N6QL
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 05:55:43 AM »

Well, it's not a mark two, at least from the stuff being published on their homeland CQ Radio site. If I had to guess, I'd say it will be a pro version. I don't suspect you'll see it much before mid 2008, if then.

I purchased the first 7000 AES sold, after being on order for nearly two years. I didn't have any of the reported first problems with the 7000. Rob Sherwood, NCØB, was probably the most outspoken about the reported squeal, but others also mentioned it. The only problem I ever had was with the speaker jack. It came unsoldered, and taking the radio apart to fix it is a real bag of worms!

I purchased a second 7000 at Dayton, as the deal was too good to pass up ($1,099 delivered). I fixed the jack on the old one a second time, and sold the radio to a good friend.

If I have any complaints with the radio, it's the low quality of the video out. Lots of guys have the video fed to their Navi, and say it looks good. Personally, it stinks! The display only have the NTSC standard, and any screen over about 5 inches looks blocky. I didn't make the TV mod on the second one for this, and the fact the receive sensitivity isn't adequate for TV, no matter what antenna you use.

One minor gripe if the lower power AF. I think Icom should pay attention to Yaesu and up the audio out to at least 5 watts, if not 10!

My new serial number is about 7,000 higher than the original, and every single feature works as it should.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 07:44:24 AM »

I'd be interested to hear what people say because frankly I am not buying one due to the high number of "hey this is the greatest rig ever until it over heated or otherwise failed and I returned it to Icom for a repair" notes in the product review section.

Actually for my rig in the car I have a 480sat and for a portable rig the new Elecraft K3 looks interesting.

Dan S
KO1D
N6QL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 09:50:43 AM »

I'm actually not concerned about the heat and reliability so much as the many small improvements that often come with a "verstion 2.0" or "Pro" or "MkII" or "IC7100" or whatever they choose to call it. If I was an engineer at ICOM I'd be incorporating all the little fixes for customer complaints and I'd be looking at how to get a bit more efficiency out of it to both reduce power consumption and heat dissipation.

Overheating of any modern rig is a user installation problem. In the case of the IC-7000 the specs are clear so there really isn't any reason why anyone should be overheating it and causing it to fail.

Regards,
Ron
N6QL
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 07:35:24 PM »

One of mine went back for repairs a few times but has been fine ever since.  The Icom tech said they did some upgrades to the firmware as well as the grounding on the inside of it.

No complaints.

Yes, it does run a little hot, but it's an Icom.
N5EAT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 08:52:57 AM »

I've had my 7000 since they came out and it's been one of the best rigs i've ever owned.  Buy it...you'll like it.  
KB3MMX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 06:42:23 AM »

Read my IC-7000 failure thread in this forum....

Anyway, I use a Kenwood TS-480HX in my mobile station with a Tarheel Model 75 Screwdriver topped with a DX Engineering capacity hat and a 48" shaft instead of the supplied 22" one.
 Check out the Kenwood TS-480 rig series(SAT & HX), the reciever is AWESOME!...as well as several other things

The buttons and operation are MUCH more user friendly than ANY of the Yaesu mobile FT series radios!!

GL!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: