Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 857d Mount screws?  (Read 1239 times)
PMATTB

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2007, 09:27:59 PM »

Anyone have an idea where to get replacements? didnt have the 857d mounted, and now making a go box, and lo and behold I cnat find the screws. If not, can somoene give me some demensions on whats there to try and find a replacement?

thanks for your help!

-pmb
KI4WSB
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 08:05:03 AM »

They're metric. Trot down to your local Ace hardware, and dig through the drawers. If memory serves, the side bolts are 3 x 5 mm.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

PMATTB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 08:15:14 AM »

Thanks Alan, I was worried about the depth. That helps though - I'll see what I can round up..
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 02:50:14 PM »

There's a sticker on the side of my '857D that says

M4x6MAX

I read that as M4 screws (4mm dia), maximum of 6mm long.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
PMATTB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 06:15:36 AM »

Well I was impressed that Home depot had 4x6mm screws. Unfortunately that doesnt seem to account for the head (whole thing is 6mm long) so it doesnt quite make it through the mount into the radio... but 4x6 does it right into the radio. funny that they state it like that. Now figuring I need to find something like 4x8mm  it'd be sweet to find em with larger knobs or something in lieu of phillips/hex/flat heads...

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 09:58:24 AM »

That is a standardized method and is proper if you think about it for a sec.  

What we need to know is the max. depth from that point on the outside where the marking is stamped.  

The type and thickness of bracket or whatever else someone may come up with to add to the screw length is an unknown, it is up to you to add the necessary length to get the job done without exceeding that max depth into the cabinet when screw is tightened.  

KE3WD
PMATTB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 11:04:23 AM »

Re: measurements, of course, makes sense, but I was surprised they didnt publish a spec including head size... That should be a pretty standardized measure.

Yaesu customer support emailed me back - after buying some as above - theirs are a whopping .03 ea... Shipping them US Mail cost more than 8 of them.  (got a few extra!)

Thanks for your help
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 01:49:22 PM »

You sound like me. A few years back, I wanted to buy some case screws for an old Icom 701. Well, they'd mail me a few for free (I bet they wouldn't do that now!), but I needed enough to do the whole radio. So, I had to buy a package, and I think I paid $11 for them, plus some $8 for shipping. When I got the package, it contained 100 of them! I still have about 90 of them left. Makes you wonder just how much they cost to make.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KE7AXC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 08:00:53 AM »

PMATTB,

It sounds to me that you thought 6mm includes the head, but it doesn't.

As far as I know, the length of a screw or bolt never includes the head unless its a flat-head fastener.  Not sure how to describe it without a picture, but for a round head, pan head, hex head fastener, etc. the specified length is along the threaded portion (not necessarily threaded all the way) to the underside of the head.  So, a 6mm fastener including the head is probably more like 8mm total.  Unless you've really got constraints on the thickness of the head, the actual length that determines what you can fasten together is whats important to most people so thats how they're specified.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 10:46:04 AM »

KE7AXC is correct.  
PMATTB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 03:03:21 PM »

Right- what I got at home depot from their very limited selection were flat heads... so the labeled 4x6mm screws didnt even reach the threads through the mounting bracket. The threaded portion measures more like 3.5mm of threads, and the remainder flat head.....  On the return trip I picked up some 4x8mm's (purchased before hearing from Yaesu as above) which work great.
KF6IIU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 03:20:37 PM »

There were some pictures in QST a few months ago from a ham who epoxied wire nuts onto the tops of some screws, to make them into the kind of knobs that come with radio mounts.

It looked like, well, a little crusty (can't say anything bad since it was a clever solution from a ham, and I've glued plenty of stuff together with J-B Weld in my lifetime!) But, considering my local hardware store charges $3 for a wing bolt - they have to special order and don't even have metric sizes - perfectly acceptable.
N7IBC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2007, 11:08:50 PM »

I mounted my 857D in a 1998 Jeep Wrangler. The radio is under the rear jump seat with a sheet metal cover over it to keep the crud out. Regarding the screws for the radio, I took the stock screws and using red locktite, put wingnuts on the screws. Total cost: 80 cents. Now, it's a quick removal when I want to clean out the back country rig, or take out the radio when it gets -20F here.

KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 09:07:40 PM »

I stripped out the screws on my 2800 I bought a tap a little bigger than the stock screws and the corresponding thread size. I couldn't find any that were short enough and I didn't have a grinder so I bought the closest thing and just put nuts on them making the threads shorter. It looked kind of funny but it worked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: