Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice for Beginners  (Read 1091 times)
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 11:00:41 AM »

And this might be helpful for you.  

"In Australia WICEN (pronounced 'Wy-sen'), the Wireless Institute Civil Emergency Network is the officially recognized group that manages Amateur Radio operators to provide emergency communications. In NSW, WICEN is an accredited squad of the NSW Volunteer Rescue Association."

This is a clip from Wikipedia regarding Australia's version of our Amateur Radio Emergency Service.  See if you can contact a member of that group.  I assure you that they will know the best brand and model scanner for use in your part of the world.

Terry, WØFM
WILL7813

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2007, 04:15:46 PM »

OK. I was looking at the Uniden 73 or 93xlt, but they both have fairly big coverage gaps + olny 100 or 200 channels. The RAAF freqs are all over the place and I can't find the army freqs (I'm into choppers). There are all the RAAF ones here http://www.scanaustralia.bigpondhosting.com/ plus a few army ones, but I can't find many specific freqs, just ranges. I'm now thinking a 2nd hand Icom IC-R5, or I've seen IC-R2s very cheap (eBay US), but I can't find any 2nd hand over here.

What do you guys think?
Will
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2007, 06:50:12 PM »

No specifics on the radios but 200 channels is quite a few - I've a 1,000 memory scanner and have fewer than 200 programmed.

With respect to reception distance:  Airband radio is AM and is simplex direct.  However, many airports and control centers use remote communication outlets which may be located on higher terrain to facilitate better communications.  I'm quite a few miles from the bigger airports and often hear everything except the tower and ground control.

Now, the best thing you could do would be to get an external antenna.  For a scanner, a Discone [that's a type of antenna, not a brand] antenna is pretty useful because it has a very broad bandwidth.

When they talk about 'digital', usually it's speaking of various trunked communications systems - some use the APCO 25 standard.  The newer scanners can decode these signals [which work more like a cell phone than a standard radio] so that you can follow the transmissions as they hop among the allocated frequencies.  Here in the USA, many public agencies are going this way to get access to more spectrum space.  Not all communities have this now, it's usually easy to search for them on line.

Also don't overlook a local radio store for information on important frequencies - here again in the USA we have regional publications that list frequencies.

Last thought, a handheld scanner is very useful in the car and at the airfield [wish I could have afforded one back then], but the base stations often have better performance at home.

Don't forget to put in the local amateur frequencies as well.

Have fun.
WILL7813

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2007, 07:12:03 PM »

I have considered a base station type thing, but cost is a factor, thats why i'm looking at a handheld (as well as the fact that its mobile).

Will
WILL7813

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2007, 09:01:18 PM »

No one has anytihng else to say?
WILL7813

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 01:08:52 AM »

Sureley there is someone else with another opinion or suggestion........

Will
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 05:45:16 PM »

hi will,

found this site, lots of frequency info,
not sure how current is all is.

http://www.scanaustralia.bigpondhosting.com/

The Icom is a nice radio, you can get an sma to bnc
 adapter and use external antenna to get more stations.

if money is tight, any used bearcat 100 or 200 xlt will
 get you the avation frequencies.

regards,

james
WILL7813

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2007, 12:08:25 AM »

Thanks for all the advice, I've picked up a Uniden UBC93XLT in near new condition from a local 2nd hand shop.

Will
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: