Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone mounted HF or VHF/UHF in a C5 Corvette?  (Read 440 times)
KD2Q

Ignore
« on: September 01, 2006, 05:44:38 PM »

I recently purchased a C5 Corvette (2002).  I would like to have access to the bands I have in the other car and am looking for anyone who has successfully mounted an HF or VHF/UHF radio and antennas on a C5.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Gary- KD2Q
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 06:01:11 PM »

Unfortunately, no one makes an HF mobile antenna that doesn't need a ground plane under it. While frame mounts work so so, it is a far cry from a properly mounted antenna on a steel vehicle.

There are antennas for VHF and UHF which will work okay without a ground plane under them, however, to my knowledge no one makes a dual bander. Which means, you'll have to mount two to cover 2 meters and 440. Larsen is your best bet for both. By the way, they require a 1/4 inch hole for the coax, and three smaller holes for the three screws that hold them in place.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 12:17:34 PM »

Seems to me that if your in a C5 Corvette there are better things to do than trying to work some rare DX on 20m. Head forward and DRIVE!!!!
K4NFG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 09:09:19 PM »

Hi Gary, I've been trying to find a spot for a 2 meter antenna for several years now and can't seem to come up with anything.

I have seen license plate brackets that mount behind the plate and provide a tab that sticks out over the plate that you can mount an antenna to. Something like this http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/lpant.html

I've also seen a 90 degree angle bracket attached to the hatch area. When the hatch/trunk is open, look at the lip on the side. The bracket was screwed into the side of the lip, then sticks up, and out over the rear fender.

Neither of these to options appealed to me, so I remain without a radio in my Coupe.

Best of luck to you.

John
K4NFG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 09:12:56 PM »

As an afterthought, Diamond antenna just came out with an adhesive plate style mount with an NMO connector. You may be able to mount this to the flat spot next to the roll bar and have the antenna stick up next to it while the coax ducks down into the hatch/trunk (you didn't mention what body style you have).

http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/hrks.html
N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 04:58:53 PM »

If you really have to have an antenna on the vet, then drill a hole put in an NMO with a backing metal glue up some radials under the glass and zoom off into the sunset.
W8AKR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 09:55:40 AM »

Hello:  I have an 04 Z06, I used the frame just inside the rear bumper cover to mount a mag mount base. The 1/4 wave bends slightly but the repeaters don't know it if you don't tell them (hi hi). The best way to access it is by removeing the brake light assemblies on the right side. You can punch a hole through the gromet that feeds the AM/FM anetnna, just be careful not to cut the coax to the stock antenna. Another idea I played with was to fix the AM/FM antenna at 20 inches long and put an antenna switch to remove the car radio from it and ground it's cable and feed the antenna as a quarter wave. You could attach a 20 inch wire at the base of the antenna and glue/tape it to the inside of the fender to form a 1/2 wave... The space under the pass seat is just high enough for a 144/440 radio. All that shows is the mike. power can be had just under the footwell on the pass side. So far a trip to Arizona and back from Ohio has worked fine. When not talking, I switch to APRS..(Alinco 135mkII)... Good luck !
N3KLM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 01:29:38 AM »

I was wondering if there were any more developments to this thread now that it is a year old.  I too have an 04 Z06 that I wish to operate HF while mobile.

Many of the vette specialty shops sell a behind the license plate mount for CB ant., but the mast is stated to be only three feet.  I also received an email from Mike, at Lakeview Hamsticks, that states they have had customers use their license plate mount on corvettes.

Still, it is hard to imagine something seven foot long wagging around the tail end of a vette that is only mounted to another very flexible piece of plastic.

Ultimately, I'd like to end up with an SG303 or even one of the screwdriver types.  But I want to start with a monobander to see if HF is even feasible.  The RFI of these newer cars is another challenge.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: