Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any suggestions for buying a three band HT?  (Read 360 times)
KF4MM

Ignore
« on: October 16, 2007, 08:56:55 AM »

I am looking to buy an all band HT.  2Meters, 220 and 70cm.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which is the best or at least the best buy for the money?  I would like it to have CTCSS etc.

Another question.  Does having a tri band rubber duck have better gain on any given band or worse gain.  I understand a Rubber Duck is more of a Dummy Load than a real antenna with gain, but would just like an opinion.

Thanks,

bob...
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 07:10:50 PM »

If you're going to use the radio in your vehicle, DON'T buy a handheld! While they are passible in some respects, they are not the stuff of champions.

Rubber ducky antennas don't have gain, they have loss, and a lot of it! In most cases, handheld radios have rather hot front ends. Hooking them to a decent antenna results in intermod city!

The other unasked question has to do with 6 meters. We're at the bottom of the sunspot cycle, and it's getting to be Winter. All of this adds up to the band being dead for some time. Add the fact that FM requires much higher signals than SSB, it will be about 4 years or so before 6 meter FM will be worth worrying about. My advice is, forget 6 meters at least for the present.

Lastly, almost all of the 3 band VHF antennas (6, 2 and 70 cm) are imports. Their performance is sub-standard, regardless of their popularity.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 06:11:56 AM »

The correct question is perhaps: who offers/offered  tri-band (2m, 1.25m, 70cm) HT's at all, and of those, (as you ask about *relative* rubber duckie antenna performance) who's HT's offer full 5W output on 1.25m in addition to 5W on 2m/70cm.

That should get you down to a quite manageable number of HT's to review.

Are you looking at new or at used HT's?

CTCSS is available on everything of remotely recent vintage.

I have no experience w/ triband HT antennas however, but in general longer is probably better than shorter, and a 1/4 wave "rat tail" hung from the ground side of the antenna connector should help a little too.

Mobile and/or base use is a different question, (not sure that *anyone* makes a 2/1.25/70 mobile, but Alinco, at least, has a 1.25 single bander, and a single band HT too I think).
N5DXL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 09:37:14 PM »

I have owned 2 Kenwood TH-F6A and all I can say is
great, sold the first to buy a D-Star HT and ended
up buy another TH-F6A. I have a tri-band antenna
mounted and every things nice.

Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: