The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy with new mount for HF mobile antenna  (Read 905 times)
WA8FOZ

Ignore
« on: October 24, 2007, 09:03:23 PM »

I should have done this a long time ago. I finally said farewell to the mag-mount on the trunk and installed a Breedlove ballmount on the rear quarter panel of my car. After 200k miles, the car is worthless and I overcame my fear of drilling!

I reinforced the sheet metal with a bracket inside the trunk. I fashioned it out of pieces of angle stock, bolted together and to an internal body member. Then I drilled.

The Breedlove brass ball looks nice - even the xyl says so, especially after I buffed the finish on the trunk lid where the magmount was. The quick-disconnects that Breedlove makes are solid and easy to use, and the ball itself as installed seems more than adequate to hold the antennas I use (helical and MFJ manual screwdriver) at speed.

Electrically all is well. VSWR curves measured without matching are much narrower than before - amazing what a decent image plane can do! Good reprots and no RFI problems.

I recommend both the product and the procedure!

Bill WA8FOZ
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 05:56:22 AM »

Congratulations! Like I said....

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KO8S

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 07:09:10 AM »

Hi Bill; I have never heard of a "Breedlove" HF antenna mount, but I would like to see one.  Is there any info on it on the Internet?  The only ball mount that I have and have ever used in the one by Hustler or Hy-Gain I think.  Thanks, Karl, KO8S
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 08:18:22 AM »

Go to my web site, and look under Antenna Mounts. There is a picture of the unit, and a link to Jerry's site.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W1HJF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 02:32:14 PM »

I just got mine today.  It is an absolute work of art.  Shame to put in on the truck.  Just need to get some bolts to cover up the holes left by the DX Engineering mount which I will remove.  
WA8FOZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 08:59:11 PM »

Yep, it really is gorgeous. A beautiful piece of machining. I wonder if it is CAD/CAM or if he hand-machines the things. VERY low priced for what you get, too.

Thanks, Alan and everyone.

Bill WA8FOZ
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 05:46:10 AM »

Jerry's father started the business manufacturing parts for textile machinery. The elder Breedlove is gone now, and the US textile business isn't what it used to be. What prompted him to start making ball mounts, I can't say. The equipment is all computer controlled, and state of the art as of circa 1990.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KF4KQI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 09:25:31 PM »

He was at the Shelby Hamfest, he is a very nice guy.  He had mounts of stainless and brass there, and you guys are right, they are works of art!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: