The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF on top of a Ford Transit  (Read 920 times)
G0YAP

Ignore
« on: November 01, 2007, 01:22:29 PM »

PROBLEM... I drive a works Ford Transit semi high van. I am installing an Icom 706 mk1 and need an Antenna for 20mtrs that is fairly neat and will bend, I have to go down a lot of tracks and quarries etc and the antennas get a bashing. On 6 and 2 I use a Sirio which can bend right over and on 70cms I use a quarter wave on an elbow. Does anyone have any ideas on HF antennas designed for high roofed vehicles which frequently come into contact with tree branches, bridges and traffic wardens! Any help most appreciated. Ian. G0YAP, Diss, England.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 01:57:12 PM »

Length matters! HF mobile antennas are already a compromise, and shortening them further add insult to injury. To put this another way, a four foot antenna will perform to a level less than 25% that of an eight foot one.

You'd be better off with a longer antenna, even if you have to mount the antenna low, say off of the front bumper.

You might want to visit my web site, and go to the Photo Gallery. Then, other installs. There are about 400 photos of what other folks have done. Perhaps you'll get an idea or two.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

G0YAP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 11:43:26 AM »

Thanks Alan. Will pay a visit and maybe mount it on the rear bumber (fender to you guys). Thanks for taking the time to reply. Ian
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: