Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hybrid Vehicles  (Read 770 times)
AC2RC

Ignore
« on: August 06, 2005, 05:21:03 PM »

Does anyone have experience with HF mobile in a Prius hybrid vehicle ?
K6RQR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 09:25:16 PM »

Hello -
 I don't drive a Prius but I was parked today and listening to 20 meters on my FT-857D and a Prius parked about 15 feet away from me. I noticed that before he apparently switched off the key that there was a peculiar form of QRM that I could hear on my rig. I would caution you to find out what this might be before considering operating mobile from a Prius. I should mention that the model that I saw was from the first year of production. Good luck.

Bruce  K6RQR
WB4DHC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 06:54:10 AM »

Hello,
I have a 2004 model.  No problems on VHF that I have noticed.  Normally I run 30-50 watts with a mag. mount on the roof.  Radio is between the center console and driver's seat.  Have not yet tried HF but will take the IC 706 out there today and see if there is any unusual QRM.  

I've been looking for places to mount control heads but so far havn't decided on the "ideal" spot.
RObert
W9NET

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 03:19:34 PM »

I have a 2004 Prius, and installed a screwdriver ant and use an IC-706M2G.  The EMI from the Prius is terrible.  Amazingly, the broadcast band and 160 meters (using just the screwdriver and on 80) is quiet, but beginning on 80 M and up, the noise is incredible.  It pegs the meter in the 706.  There are differing parts to the EMI depending on if the batteries are charging, discharging, or the hybrid system is coasting, if the brakes are applied, etc.

I was very disappointed to find this out after I bought the car, but with gas prices the way they are, its still a good buy, and I decided to try to fix the noise as best I could.  I consulted a ham in Japan who consulted one of his ham friends who has a Prius, and with those ideas came up with some improvements that at least enable CW QSO's with strong signals.

Ferrite split beads went on every wire that I can reach under the hood, under the dash, and in the trunk space.

Common mode ferrite toroids for the power cable and the antenna cable at the base of the antenna.

Bonding of the doors, hood, hatch lid, exhaust pipe, motor, and inverter to the chassis.

An MFJ phasing-type noise eliminator to phase-out some but not all of the noise.

Each of these additions did a little bit, and collectively they enable me to work strong signals on CW.  20 is better than 40, but 30 ops results in the enging coughing, so I haven't done any more with that band, yet.  80 is impossible.  Haven't tried the other bands.

I have a bunch more ferrite split beads that I am going to install when I can get under the car at a garage, someday.

Its not hopeless, but its a bit of a job to do all that.  

I've written Toyota, and they won't help me saying that information is proprietary, and also they are afraid of legal liability if they make any sugestions.

Good luck!--Regards, John W9NET
N9XCR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 11:02:53 AM »

"I've written Toyota, and they won't help me saying that information is proprietary, and also they are afraid of legal liability if they make any sugestions."
-------------------------

That's good information to know. I've been considering purchasing a hybrid vehicle when I'm ready for another new vehicle, but I'll definitely stay away from Toyota. Too bad, I was thinking about a Prius too. I currently own a Honda Civic and will most likely stick with Honda. I'd be interested in hearing from hams who have experience with other hybrids.

Chris
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 05:03:24 AM »

Are diesel engined cars available in the US ?  Not only are the engines fuel efficient, they are quiet and cause little or no interference on reception.
The motoring correspondents say that the Honda diesel engine is excellent as are the Mercedes. In fact Mercedes vans with diesel engines are quieter than some passenger cars !

73, Mel
N4ZOU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 06:10:55 PM »

Diesel automobiles in the USA are almost nonexistent. On occasion you see and old diesel vehicle owned by a tinker that manages to keep it alive. The problem arose when manufacturers converted gasoline engines to diesel engines, which lead to poor reliability and gave diesel automobiles a very bad reputation in this country. This bad reputation continues to this day even if these vehicles were produced more than 20 years ago! A second problem for diesel automobiles here in the USA is the pending change in diesel fuel sulfur requirements. Sulfur is required as a lubricant in the diesel engine fuel injection system as presently used in heavy-duty vehicles in the USA. Some time in the near future the sulfur will be completely removed from diesel fuel available in the USA so no manufacturer is going to produce or sell a diesel automobile here in the USA until that happens. When the change does take place European diesel automobiles will become an importable vehicle, as the diesel engines they use will be able to operate reliably on the new no-sulfur diesel fuel that will become available as mandated by our environmental protection agency.
AD0AC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 12:37:56 PM »

That's funny, the local VW dealer seems to be selling every TDI diesel car he can get, sometimes for $3000 over MSRP...
KB9YNB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 12:56:49 PM »

Currently available passenger diesels in the US:

3/4 and 1 ton pickups from the "big 3."
Passats, Jettas, Golfs, and Beetles from Volkswagen.
Liberty CRD from Jeep
E320 CDI from Mercedes

the arrival of Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel in 2007 will hopefully allow more companies to meet diesel emissions affordably and allow more diesel cars on the market!

check out www.tdiclub.com in the forums for cars that regulary and routinely get MUCH better fuel economy than any hybrid on the market!

KB9YNB
KB9YNB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2005, 12:59:26 PM »

Ooops... almost forgot.

The Sulfur in diesel fuel is not a lubricant, HOWEVER, the process that removes sulfur from the fuel also removes some of the lubricity.  The suppliers of fuel add some lubricity back through additives.

Existing diesels will run fine with the new fuel.

KB9YNB
KC0EJR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2005, 10:57:50 PM »

All of the local VW dealers in minnesota have a waiting list for any diesels!
They have to order them in from other states right now.
VE3XKD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 07:15:41 PM »

I've just taken my 2005 Prius (base model) out for a test drive using my IC 703 and a 3 ft CB whip on a mag mount attached to the roof of the Prius to see what the noise levels are like.

There is lots of noise (but not S9)when the engine statrs up, when the electric motor kicks in, and when braking. Cruising at 35 MPH there is minimal noise.

The DSP Noise reduction unitl in the 703 helps - but does not eliminate the noise.

As I could definately copy signals, and the noise level was way down when crusing, I intend to repeat the tests with a screwdriver antenna using a mag mount in a few weeks to see how well my 706 MK2 works mobile in the Prius.

If anyone else has any insight, I'd appreciate hearing from them.

73's all
W7MJM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 07:07:19 AM »

I recently installed an FT-857D in my biodiesel-powered '86 Mercedes 300SDL. No ignition noise from the diesel engine, of course, though there are a few microprocessors in the vehicle (i.e. cruise control, ABS) that may produce a few spurs in the HF range. But I've been very satisfied with the vehicle, radiowise and otherwise.

I use hamstick-style antennas for HF, mounted on a Diamond K-400 trunk lip mount. At first, I experienced occasional high SWR and a bit of RF getting into some of the panel lights, but running a 1 inch braid from the ham antenna mount to a grounding screw on the vehicle body (inside the trunk, the same grounding screw that the car AM/FM antenna mount uses) plus a ground strap from the transceiver chassis (stashed under the front passenger seat) to the car body inside the passenger compartment solved those problems.

For VHF/UHF, I use a magmount on the roof.

Though I've been a ham for many years, this is my first time going mobile (save for occasional use of a VHF/UHF handheld in the car) and I've been really enjoying it. I especially like operating mobile HF; it's always full of surprises!

And of course, running biodiesel, my transmissions have a low carbon footprint. Also, the exhaust smells like french fries!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: