Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winterizing HF Screwdriver  (Read 352 times)
KO1D

Ignore
« on: December 06, 2007, 09:36:13 AM »

I am looking for tips on winterizing an HF screwdriver. Sadly I cannot pay in a garage (I do not have one) and thus must let it be exposed to the environment. So I am wondering what can be done to winterize it. I have the Rainex and already put some on once. I figure on washing the antenna down and reapplying it. What else should be done?

Thanks

Dan S
KO1D/4
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 10:36:36 AM »

If you own a decent quality one, you've done all you need to do. One item about RainX. Some plastics can be discolored by it, and if it does discolor yours, you need a better antenna. HiQ, High Sierra, and Tarheel all use either Lexan or Acrylic outer covers, and are impervious to RainX.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 03:56:56 PM »

Mine went through seven Maryland winters with nothing more than washing off the dirt and road salt after every (infrequent) storm. I put a coat of Turtle Wax on all the metal parts. I didn't even bother with Rain-X, although that's probably a good idea. Most of that time it was garaged at night.

It's going to be interesting now that I have Connecticut winters to deal with after 14 years on Federal Hill at the Inner Harbor. Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 05:54:17 PM »

hi Dan,

Some DeOxit on the coax and power connectors
to keep them clean.

73 james
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 08:16:42 PM »

My coax connection is covered with two layers of Scotch33 tape and three coats of PlastiDip. Hasn't leaked in the five years I've had the antenna on this particular vehicle.

A photo of the installation is on Alan's website.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: